I need help finalizing my PC for Christmas quick!

StigmaaH

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hello!
Okay, I could buy a PC off of a site that offers no tech support for £650, or I could buy it from a local seller with tech support for £650 BUT instead of an AMD Phenom II X4 970 (4x3.5GHz) 8MB that I would get online, I would be getting an AMD Phenom II X4 960T (4x3.0GHz) 8MB. Could someone tell me what's so different about them? I've heard a lot about Tom's Hardware and I need the answer quick. I will be using my PC for gaming.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

I wasn't able to find the exact processors you've mentioned, so I've compared similar processors: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/186?vs=88

You'll notice that there's not too much of a difference, its about 10%. So, it really boils down to whether you want that 10% difference, or technical support.

Bear in mind, though, that while this CPU is good for most modern games, its the GPU that is arguably the more important half of the gaming equation. Its generally good to get a GPU that offers balanced performance in conjunction with your CPU - no point buying a really expensive GPU if your CPU is not up to the task, and vice versa.