Is 400w psu bottlenecking my rig?

got a 400w dynex psu from bestbuy along time ago and running it on my rig, everything is working fine *I Think.

Amd phenom II x3 720 black edition (The fourth core has been unlocked and very stable, so its a quad core @ 2.8ghz).

Cpu Cooler:
Cooler master hyper 212 plus with 2x 120mm fans

Motherboard:
Msi 880gm-e35

Gpu:
Nvidia galaxy gts250, 1gb memory, 256bit, ddr3

Ram:
Corsair xms3 1600 ddr3 (1x4)

Psu:
Dynex 400w

Case:
Antec 300 2x 120mm fans , 1x 140mm fan ( on lowest speeds)

Dvd drive:
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive

& 320 wd hdd

windows 7 ultimate

Is it bad to run with a low psu can my parts go bad faster if i do?
2 answers Last reply
More about 400w bottlenecking
  1. It's definitely not good to run an ElCheapo POS PSU, but it will not cause any bottlenecking. The causes for bottlenecking can be traced to 2 things: CPU, and GFX card (what res are you playing at?).

Dynex is not a good PSU. Look for: Enermax/Lepa, Silverstone/Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, newer OCZ units, and PC P&C.

I'd look first to upgrade that vid card (even a 550Ti would be an improvement for $125), after getting a better PSU (look for a 450W-550W).
  2. Most defiantly get a better PSU. That is a Best Buy only cheapy with a very low efficiency especially under load. Your system will pull 300-350w so a good quality 450-550w PSU would do fine and give you plenty of headroom.

Quote:
    Is it bad to run with a low psu can my parts go bad faster if i do?

Absolutely a poor PSU can take the rest of the computer with it. Ontop of the poor efficiency your 12+ rails are on the low side (14a and 15a) so just upgrading your GPU could send you over the amps it can provide.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems