Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Power supply and video card upgrade. Please answer!

Last response: in Components
Share
March 4, 2012 3:11:27 AM

Hey guys, I had asked a question before about the Radeon HD 6570.
And everybody said I needed a better power supply.

So I've been looking at getting these two:

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD6570 1GB DDR3 HDMI DVI PCI-E
COOLERMASTER ExtremE Power Plus 500W RS-500-PCAR

Now, I'm assuming the videocard will work just fine now with the better powersupply. Right?

My Motherboard is:
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: 0RY206
Chipset: Nvidia MCP61 Rev.A3
Southbridge: Nvidia MCP61 Rev.A2
LPCIO: Fintek F8000
Graphic interface: PCI-Express Linkwidth. x16

Now about the powersupply.
The type is ATX12V V2.3
And the specs say the main connector is 20+4 pin

The powersupply I have now is 24 pin. I'm assuming it's really the same, correct?

Also, the specs don't mention anything about the other connectors. Just: PCI-E Connectors 1 x 6Pin

Should I worry about that?

I was googling around and Some guy said, any ATX powersupply would fit in the Dell inspiron 531 motheboard.

So, what do you guys think? Sorry about the relatively stupid questions, but this is my first time upgrading and I just wanna make extra sure I don't screw things up. Answer please!

Oh another thing, what do you guys think about the videocard aswell as the powersupply?
Would you recommend them?
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 3:31:35 AM

Regarding the power connector yes 20+4 and 24 pin is the same. About the PCI-E 1x6pin you do not have to worry
Score
0
a c 87 ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 9:29:47 AM

You do not need a new PSU because your 300W unit is perfectly capable of powering your build + 6570.

IIRC the 6750 DDR3 has a maximum TDP of 44W, so under the heaviest loading you can do it should only consume 44W.
Your processor, the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, has a TDP of 89W.
Nothing else in your system will use more than 10W by itself. So adding even 50W to those two should account for everything on maximum load, which equals ~185W.

You should also be aware that AMD recommends a 400W PSU to account for units which can't deliver what they claim.

If you are going to buy a new PSU anyway then you should be buying something better than the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
Score
0
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 11:20:28 AM

what about a hd7750
Score
0
March 4, 2012 7:27:50 PM

Silvune said:
You do not need a new PSU because your 300W unit is perfectly capable of powering your build + 6570.

IIRC the 6750 DDR3 has a maximum TDP of 44W, so under the heaviest loading you can do it should only consume 44W.
Your processor, the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, has a TDP of 89W.
Nothing else in your system will use more than 10W by itself. So adding even 50W to those two should account for everything on maximum load, which equals ~185W.

You should also be aware that AMD recommends a 400W PSU to account for units which can't deliver what they claim.

If you are going to buy a new PSU anyway then you should be buying something better than the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...


Woah, thanks man, that's the kind of reply i've been waiting for for the past 3 days.
What powersupply would you recommend?
I might get a better processor later on, so I might as well get a better psu once and for all.

The seller also has this one:
XCASE Power Supply 600W Extreme Mod Power ATX GRIS

It costs less and has more watts, seems a bit fishy to me.
Score
0
a c 111 ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 7:30:02 PM

All of those power supplies are horrible. How about a corsair Cx430? And a 6670?
Score
0
March 4, 2012 7:54:36 PM

amuffin said:
All of those power supplies are horrible. How about a corsair Cx430? And a 6670?


6670, is the 6570 not good?

Well you see, since my processor isn't really that good, then getting a really good video card isn't gonna do much, probably would be a waste of money. So the radeon hd 6570 seemed like a fairly good one to me, and it runs games like assassin's creed 2 or left4dead 2. Besides, they say there isn't much difference between the 6670 and the 6570.

And about the power supply, is the cooler master 500 really that bad? Honestly, all I want is a nice powersupply with 450+W that won't break down after a week, you know.. I want it to last. And it says there it doesn't make much noise either, so the cooler master seemed like a good deal to me.

I mean, I don't have that much dough on me, the 6570 and the coolermaster will cost about 150$ bucks, and that's about all i'm willing to spend.
Score
0

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 9:34:43 PM

STOP. Don't buy that GPU just yet. I have the exact same set up as you. I bought a small HTPC with the exact same Brisbane as you (64 5000+) and a 6570.

There is a huge bottleneck. I couldn't play BFBC2 at the lowest settings @ 30FPS. It's always 15 or 10.
I could play L4D2 at some high settings and medium. The shadows and such will kill your FPS.

You will not notice any benefits with a 6670 because the CPU is so slow. I would suggest you save for a better rig instead of trying to upgrade that OEM.

As for the PSU, you could have a 220w PSU and run the 6570 fine. 400w is recommended from AMD because they always base their requirements on the highest possible set up.

If you still want to upgrade to a new PSU, get either the Antec EA-380 or a Rosewill 430w. Even 380w is an overkill since the rest of the system consumes so little power.

The CX430 makes an annoying whine noise when it's plugged in the wall, that's why I don't recommend it. The Rosewill PSU also gives more power, making the Rosewill the smarter power.
Share
March 5, 2012 1:18:29 AM

e56imfg said:
STOP. Don't buy that GPU just yet. I have the exact same set up as you. I bought a small HTPC with the exact same Brisbane as you (64 5000+) and a 6570.

There is a huge bottleneck. I couldn't play BFBC2 at the lowest settings @ 30FPS. It's always 15 or 10.
I could play L4D2 at some high settings and medium. The shadows and such will kill your FPS.

You will not notice any benefits with a 6670 because the CPU is so slow. I would suggest you save for a better rig instead of trying to upgrade that OEM.

As for the PSU, you could have a 220w PSU and run the 6570 fine. 400w is recommended from AMD because they always base their requirements on the highest possible set up.

If you still want to upgrade to a new PSU, get either the Antec EA-380 or a Rosewill 430w. Even 380w is an overkill since the rest of the system consumes so little power.

The CX430 makes an annoying whine noise when it's plugged in the wall, that's why I don't recommend it. The Rosewill PSU also gives more power, making the Rosewill the smarter power.



So basically, I should get a better cpu instead of the powersupply?

How about getting this:

Amd Athlon Ii 260 3.2 Ghz Dual X2 Socket Am3

Along with the 6570?

I was reading the dell forums, and they said the amd athlon 6000+ is the maximum the motherboard can hold. Or was it 6200+ don't remember.

Anyways, would that do the trick? what did you do? just buy a new machine?
Score
0
March 15, 2012 12:01:01 PM

Best answer selected by Johnny Radke.
Score
0
!