sabus

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hello,
now I am using pentium IV 3ghz, which is enough
fast to watch movies in hd 1080 but is an old
piece of hardware. I am wondering if E-350 is
much faster than p4 or should I buy more
expensive pc, although i don't play computer games.

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
No it is slower than Pentium4 D 2.8.... If you 're use single Core P4 3.0 than yes it is a little bit fast...

and I think you looking for notebook now.... $100 more you get something is triple the speed better looking for i3 or AMD A4

vipervoid1

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
if u juz wan to watch in hd 1080p video ~
then e-350 should be the 1st choice ~
If u also encode or somethings better get a better processor
like Core i3 plus a budget graphics card ~
want best performance for encode then ur choice will be i5 or i7

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I'm inclined to lean to what jaguar says. Your P4 is old, probably a prescott and uses alot of energy. While a E350 is slow is waaaaay more efficient. An A3300 seems like a cheap and good solution.

The e-350 trades places and is on par with a 3.2-3.4ghz p4. It's IGP is not something to think is crap but the rest of the apu isn't enough to keep up. I already got one and to say that the cpu is just too weak and it is only aimed at taking on Intel's atom (pure crap even makes p4 look decent) and the single channel memory controller bottlenecks every thing even the sata controller feels lagging when the same drive on another board performs better. The L2 cache on this apu only runs at half core clock so in this case it is only running at 800mhz while bottlecking the cpu.

So the only things this apu is good for is playing videos, email, might lag while playing FB games, low end gaming, and might work as a low end home server.

Cons. The cpu is easily taxed and is often maxed out. The single channel memory controller starves the whole system. The L2 cache is half clocked vs normal. Last but not least is cost, you can build a AM3 or FM1 system for a little more.

That is true, AMD actually overvolted their chips to maybe help boost yields. I undervolted mine down to 1.2v vs the stock 1.35v and is stable. I could go further but lazy with other things taking up my time. Third funeral in under a month :??:

riotr

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
It depends on which e350 board you get, the cheap foxconn ones will have only a 64 bit bus width and won't allow overclocking of ram and cpu.

I have the gigabyte board which cost me $90 real cost after rebate (Mini-itx, 18 TDP form factor). The bus width is 128 bit and the ram is oced using dividers to 1333 mhz, with the fsb clocked to 110 (10% increase) it gives me ~1.8 ghz cpu and ~1500 mhz ram.

I can play fallout 3 on low settings at 1080p, I can play skyrim on low settings at 720p, halflife 2 medium settings at 1080p, mount and blade maxed out, left 4 dead low settings 1080p; all these games at 30 fps plus, skyrim with some dips.

Basically any game except battlefield 3, witcher 2 and other games in that beastly category are playable on this setup. Although I think i may be able to get bf3 working on low settings at like 640x480 lol.

Overall, I've been overly impressed with this tiny machine of mine running on a 60 watt psu. The case is a habey server chassis from newegg and can be mounted to the back of your monitor. Price/performace wise you can't beat it in this form factor.