First off, the Specs:

Mobo: ASUS M5A88-M
CPU: AMD FX-4300 (Corsair H70 Cooler)
RAM: Patriot G2 (PGD38G1333ELK) or Mushkin Silverline (996770) 2x4GB kits
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 570 (ZT-50206-10M)
PSU: Corsair CX600
SSD: Kingston SH103S3/120G
Fresh install of Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit

When I first finished the build with the Silverline RAM (before OS Install), When I powered on the system it wouldn't post. No BIOS, no image, nada. The DRAM_LED was on constant. I tried a couple different slots for the RAM, 1 stick or 2, didn't matter. So I tried the G2 and now it boots fine, installed Windows 7 now, working fine. Also, if you look up that motherboard, I don't have the manual. I wasn't entirely sure which RAM slot was DIMM_A1, A2, B1, or B2 for individual testing. Currently I have the G2 in the Blue slots. Now my issue is that when I first turn on the PC the DRAM LED turns red for about 2 seconds and the computer hangs on the black screen, then it will boot and the light goes off. From here on it works.

Is the silverline bad RAM? I had it working not 2 weeks ago in another PC with the same model motherboard.

Why the hang up and red LED if it boots now and seems to be working? Any way to fix this? Bugs me, and I am very curious why it is doing this.

I have the silverline still, so I can throw them in for testing as well. I would like to find out if they are in fact bad. Thanks in advance!

More about : multiple ram issues

a b } Memory
January 8, 2013 6:45:01 PM

I am not at it at the moment, but I am fairly sure that my PC flashes each of the diagnostic lights on boot up as confirmation that they are all working correctly, if one is truly performing incorrectly it will simple light the appropriate light and not let you proceed further. Finally the green POST light comes on as my PC begins to boot. I took a look at your board and only see the DRAM LED, I am assuming this is what is happening, especially considering you are booting fine. You could try using the MemOK! feature to get your previous RAM to work.
m
l
January 8, 2013 7:22:50 PM

How would I use that feature to get the previous ram to work?
m
l
a b } Memory
January 8, 2013 7:34:27 PM

Go to page 2-17 of your manual and follow the instructions, you basically just hold the button down until your DRAM light starts flashing (this is while the DRAM light is continuously lit as you originally reported), at this point it is trying a large set of RAM timings and configuration in order to try and get it to boot. If MemOK! fails (I have not had to use it so I am unsure how reliable it is) then you may have to stick with your new RAM or order a new set.

Make sure to read all the pointers on 2-17 of your manual, it has instructions as to how MemOK! looks while operating, it will turn your PC on and off while trying the other settings, as I said, read that section so you are not unprepared when it begins.
m
l
!