6950 Cant get 3 displays

spazworm

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Heya guys,
So I have a problem, my computer won't allow me to use more than two monitors, it says, "To extend the desktop, a desktop or display must be disabled." I'm really at a loss trying to figure out why this message is coming up, I have read a bunch of threads on here that appear to be the same problem but have been unable to find the solution.
My setup is;

Graphics: Radeon 6950
CPU: Intel Q9400
MOBO: Asus P5Q SE/R
RAM: 8GBB (4x2GBB)
DISPLAY: 3x 42" Soniq LCD TVs

The Video outputs i am using are
1 x DVI to HDMI cable
1 x HDMI Cable
1 x Active Display Port (USB powered) to HDMI adaptor > HDMI cable

Any Help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Make sure you're using the latest drivers with CCC installed. As long as you're going for 5760x1080 that should work fine. Confirm that your DP to HDMI adapter is actually working; un-plug the other displays and check to see if that one works. Also try using the other display port. I found on my setup that it would not let me activate Eyefinity if I had the mini-DP to DVI adapter plugged into the mini-DP closest to the DVI ports, but worked perffectly if I had it plugged into the outside mini-DP.

Also; once you do get Eyefinity working save a preset, but go to "Basic View" save your preset then back to "Advanced View" in CCC. Then do the same with Eyefinity disabled with just two extended desktops. For whatever reason I can never get presets to actually work unless you switch to "Basic View" before saving them.

spazworm

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
the 3 different displays are definitely working, as is the dp to hdmi adaptor. I can get any 2 of the three monitors working no problem, its just 3 i can't get. I tried using the other display port to no avail.

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Try swapping DVI ports. When you use a DVI and an HDMI port one of the DVI ports get's deactivated. Same if you were using both DVI ports, the HDMI port would be deactivated. Do you have another DVI to HDMI adpater? You could try DVI to HDMI x 2 and DP to HDMI.

spazworm

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I swapped DVI ports, unfortunately i do not have another dvi > hdmi adaptor, however i can confirm that any combination of 2 of the 3 monitors does work, so the HDMI and DVI are working simultaneously. Question, does the usb of the active DP>HDMI adaptor only supply power?

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

I would assume. My active mDP to DVI adapter does not have a USB plug so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see what else it would do.

spazworm

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I was looking around and saw this, is this an issue? it says the card is only 1gig when it is actually 2gig?
systeminfo.jpg

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
you have a 1GB card. the cards are identical, same clock, memory, die size, transistors, bandwidth and bus width... even the same bios is used on both cards. the ONLY change is the price and the memory. so you bought a 1GB card, not a 2GB card.

i just looked up all the specs on both cards

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
yea, the 6950 2GB is only about 20 or 30 bucks more than the 1GB :/. on a side note if you are feeling adventurous and want some more power. people have been flashing there 6950's to 6970's. idk if it works but its on the tech power up fourms.

C0rehound

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Yep one HDMI and one DVI *should* work. I was looking to see if I could find you a cheaper ACTIVE mDP to HDMI, but I didn't have any luck. I found some cheap passive ones but that's not what you need. The Sapphire mDP to DVI adapter I use was only $25... I wonder if an active mDP to DVI combined with a DVI to HDMI would work? Probably not.