Is amd phenom ii x4 more powerful the intel i3 processor

hi, friend's im trying to build a fairly modest gaming pc and i don't rily know if the intel cpu is better than the amd, and the one that wil give more bang for my buck...
34 answers Last reply
More about phenom powerful intel processor
  1. Here you go. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

    The best Phenom II X4 listed versus the i3 2100. All in all, they are equal except multi-threaded apps (where the Phenom is better). In gaming, it varies.
  2. the i3-2100 outperforms its similarly priced amd cpu phenom ii x4 955 in gaming
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859-10.html

    Newegg has the i3-2100 for 110$. Nothing from AMD in that price range will come close to it in terms of gaming.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

    also going with sandybridge give you a better upgrade path for the future.
  3. i3
  4. the phenom II x4 980 is best in AMD cpu's ever excellent performance get it.
  5. xtreme5 said:
    the phenom II x4 980 is best in AMD cpu's ever excellent performance get it.

    Except for it is $185-195 and the i3-2100 is $100-$125. :kaola:
  6. amuffin said:
    Except for it is $185-195 and the i3-2100 is $100-$125. :kaola:

    HUH? but these cpus aren't totally same however 980 BE is quad core and gain higher fps over i3 2100..
  7. also 2100 won't overclock whereas 980 BE when overclock as high as possible with a decent cooler then take benchmark hahahah!
  8. @muffin
    it 980 price 190 if you want a shipment to mars:P
    www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671+50001028+600005574&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=343&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=
    it is at 150 on earth.
    But 970 is a better bang for money.
    If op wants to get more cpu performance in future then now i3 and then i5 is the way to go,
    but if op wants to make a onetime investment then 970 is the best, also the oem 970 is a thuban derivative and thus may have 2 disabled cores (if amd used dye harvesting instead of laser cutting)

    both i3 and phenom2 will give fps around 60 in every game when paired with a high end card, but phenom2 have higher multithreaded performance
  9. truegenius said:
    @muffin
    it 980 price 190 if you want a shipment to mars:P
    www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671+50001028+600005574&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=343&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=
    it is at 150 on earth.
    But 970 is a better bang for money.
    If op wants to get more cpu performance in future then now i3 and then i5 is the way to go,
    but if op wants to make a onetime investment then 970 is the best, also the oem 970 is a thuban derivative and thus may have 2 disabled cores (if amd used dye harvesting instead of laser cutting)

    both i3 and phenom2 will give fps around 60 in every game when paired with a high end card, but phenom2 have higher multithreaded performance

    hahahah! thats funny haha! :na:

    that's what i'm trying to saying..

    @amuffin please do not answer blindly first look price then post here :kaola:
  10. fail
  11. so best option will be a gaming console instead of a pc if it is only for gaming. huh...
    Fans every where.

    'Modest' can mean differently to different person. Can't you all see that op haven't stated any specific budget and components needed, then why a i3, why not a i5 2500k + hd7970 or gtx580 +z68 gen3 + 8gb 1600 cl9 ram + 128 gb ssd + 1tb hdd + nh-d14 or h100 + 750w with combined 50a current capacity on 12v rail(s) psu and so on....

    Op needs to be specific to avoid these confusions.
  12. Both Intel And AMD are good just Its ur need and How much ur willing to spend To satisfy Ur need
  13. At this point in time Intel is better unless you already have an AM2 or AM3 motherboard (with such a low power CPU that dropping in a more powerful X4 or X6 would make sense). This is coming from someone who hasn't owned an Intel PC since 2003. There really is no reason to build an AMD PC from scratch now.
  14. why is tht bad to build AMD pc from scratch now well for this guy he can Build i3/i5 rig or he might go for AMD phenom too why is tht Bad now to get AMD?
  15. 980 BE with gtx 580 will beast performance where as 2100 with gtx 580 bottleneck hehe!
  16. Ahh common man now stopp comparing and give tht OP solution of his Problem :D
  17. xtreme5 said:
    980 BE with gtx 580 will beast performance where as 2100 with gtx 580 bottleneck hehe!


    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

    Oh my! It seems an i3-2100 bests FX CPUs @ 4.5 and Deneb @ 4.0.

    But we're just intel fanboys...
  18. Quote:
    i3-2120 / Z68 Gen3 mobo / GTX 560 or HD 6870 = starter kit
    (some say GTX 550 Ti and HD 6850 for starters but I can't)....

    then upgrade to 2500K or 3550K (Ivy) and go from there when the money is right.

    That's why my 600 dollar build is ftw! By going with a gen 3 motherboard you have many upgrade paths, i3 to sb i5 or i7, or i3 to ib i3, i5, or i7.
  19. xtreme5 said:
    980 BE with gtx 580 will beast performance where as 2100 with gtx 580 bottleneck hehe!

    You are just mad because you know the i3 is a better choice. :kaola:
  20. the i3 2100 is a stunning little chip. it should handle any gfx card up to a gtx 580 or 6970 without bottlenecking on any game that uses 2-4 threads. it will however bottleneck a little bit but less than 10% on single threaded games. but thats more to do with the game not pushing the gfx as hard. most current games use between 2 and 3 threads so this should not be a problem... the 980be on the other hand will bottleneck on games that use 2 or less threads so generally you would get less performance out of the amd cpu...

    there are exemptions though. games like bfbc2 and gta4 that will benefit from 4 actual hardware threads will show a difference on the 2100 and will choke it.. but again its down to bad optimization rather than a hardware bottleneck. on these 2 titles that are both heavily cpu bound the 980be would gain a slight advantage. but still the would be little or no problems on cards smaller than the 580 or 9870
  21. amuffin said:
    You are just mad because you know the i3 is a better choice. :kaola:

    amuffin listen i'm a big fan INTEL i'm suggesting 980 BE becuse its price in newegg is about $149 and perform better than i3 whereas above you stated that it is 180-195 thats don't make a sense therefore i answer you don't answer blindly and basically i'm expert than you in IT.
  22. xtreme5 said:
    amuffin listen i'm a big fan INTEL i'm suggesting 980 BE becuse its price in newegg is about $149 and perform better than i3 whereas above you stated that it is 180-195 thats don't make a sense therefore i answer you don't answer blindly and basically i'm expert than you in IT.

    Well thats what a review stated so I went with that price, anyways the i3-2120 or i3-2100 is a better choice than the 980. Well you probably are an expert, but then again I am only 14 :ange:
  23. what??? your age is 14???
  24. Yes, and I think I have a good amount of knowledge of this stuff. But then again not as much experience as many people who are older than me.
  25. hmm, thats good and sorry for my misbehaviour.. :)
  26. peace at last
  27. truegenius said:
    peace at last

    hahha yeah...
  28. Quote:
    amuffin - respect for your knowledge / age ratio
    (your not really 14 though are you, if so then impressive, but I doubt it)..

    I can pm you :sarcastic:
  29. say the budget and we will say the best bang for the buck gaming pc..
  30. Quote:
    that's some serious hardware for a 14 year old.... :pfff:
    but OK, I'll play along..
    ;)

    Check your pm's :p
  31. I tend to wonder whether people see a bench and consider it to be the holy bible of things true, how many have used FX and Intel chips, in this instance I sold off my 2500K to test out a FX 8120 and from what I have benched the 2500K is around 5-10%~ stronger, Aquamark, 3Dmark 11/Vantage, MaxxMem, SuperPi the results are so close it doesn't really concern me. The "Faildozer" mantra is a product of fanboism and the fact that the BD didn't beat the older Sandy despite a 8core desktop trim.

    If you are considering a i3 or PII I would say go with the i3 as the Phenoms are not only EOL it is very old now, the i3 performs really well for a budget orientated gaming and general purpose build.

    One downside about intel chips notably the K's and X's is the degredation of the chip, you cannot run 24/7 BCLK straps and high vcore runs the chips down in a hurry. I have a benchmark 2600k which cannot push 4.2 now and its not even 6 weeks old, scores 7.1 overclocked to its max. Sandy's break easy.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Processors Intel Product