Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help in choosing a CPU cooler

Last response: in CPUs
March 4, 2012 8:29:46 AM

Hey Folks,

I got great recommendations in this forum for building the following configuration.

IntelCore i72600K 3.4Ghz, Asus P8Z68-V-Gen3, Gskill 16GB DDR3-16Mhz, CoolerMaster HAF 922, WD 1TB caviarblack HDD, Asus GTX 560 ti 1GB, Corsair 120 GB SSD, Seasonic 750W SMPS, Dual monitor: Dell U2312hm, Dell ST 2420L, LG 24x DVDRW, Altec Lansing VS2621 speakers and a APC UPS.

It has been a great build and i am thinking of adding a cooler for CPU.

I am pretty confused in choosing a cooler. I tried playing Assassin's creed revelations, but the cpu temperature is shooting up to 87-90 centigrade (i.e 188 195 Fahrenheit).
Also i am planning it to overclock. At present i am in a dilemma to go for a air cooler or a liquid cooler. I would be grateful to have some recommendations on choosing a cooler.

Thanks,
M3dhunk

More about : choosing cpu cooler

a c 117 à CPUs
March 4, 2012 8:53:12 AM

What's your budget?
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2012 10:07:31 AM

if its hitting 90c then i would say you havent put the heatsink on properly

either some of the pushpins arent properly engaged or you used too much thermal paste or no thermal paste

even on the stock cooler it shouldnt get that hot
Related resources
March 4, 2012 2:30:33 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
if its hitting 90c then i would say you havent put the heatsink on properly

either some of the pushpins arent properly engaged or you used too much thermal paste or no thermal paste

even on the stock cooler it shouldnt get that hot

Thanks for a quick reply!

I am not sure about the usage of the thermal paste as i didn't do it myself. Its interesting to know that a stock cooler gives a better cooling than i expected.
Since i am thinking of overclocking in the future, would appreciated if you can suggest any cooler. Budget would be around 80 to 100$.

Is a higher end air cooler better than using a liquid cooler?
March 4, 2012 2:32:04 PM

davcon said:
What's your budget?

I can afford upto 100$, but lesser the better

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 4, 2012 2:58:54 PM

m3dhunk said:
Thanks for a quick reply!

I am not sure about the usage of the thermal paste as i didn't do it myself. Its interesting to know that a stock cooler gives a better cooling than i expected.
Since i am thinking of overclocking in the future, would appreciated if you can suggest any cooler. Budget would be around 80 to 100$.

Is a higher end air cooler better than using a liquid cooler?

higher end air cooler wont be far off a liquid cooler like the corsair h range

but the air cooler will take up a lot more room and may block some ram slots if your ram has big heatsinks

$100 would cover a corsair h80

or for far less but still a very good cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 5, 2012 1:02:23 AM

Best answer selected by m3dhunk.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2012 7:52:20 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!