Closed Solved

Core temp, cpu temp, and general OC

Okay, I have a few questions regarding temperatures and overclocking. I have a amdx4 960T. My core temps never went above 35C on a full prime95 load on 3.75Mhz. The "cpu" temp on the monitoring programs was at about 49C. Which one am I watching for while OCing. Because I have quite a bit of leeway if it is the core temp but if it is the cpu temp then I will end up frying my card very shortly. Here is an image of all 4 program temps I got.

http://i.imgur.com/hAOxp.jpg

Now also, The wattage readout on one of the programs showed at full load it was using 118 watts and ~150 with gpu going full blast(6770). Does this seem right to you? I figured atleast 350w. anyway as far as overclocking what is 1. the max temp( i thought 62 but i want to stay in the 50s) 2. max voltage for the card 3. most stable OC you have heard of on this card on air cooling granted I have one beast of an air cooling system(10 fans and i set up to 100% when benchmark and heavy gaming) I idle at about 15C. 4. What temp do I look on while OCing. 5. Would I actually be better off unlocking the 6 cores on it( i have done this twice but the temperatures dont get measured so I dont feel comfortable not knowing it could be burning.

Thanks for reading my novel and answer only in essay form. you have 60 minutes from now.....Start. :D
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core temp temp general
  1. Best answer
    The overall CPU temp is the important one. If your 49°C are under prime 95 then you have a very cool CPU and can do some more overclocking.
  2. Thanks do you happen to know how far I can push it with a 960T?
  3. Depends on how much you want to push it, and what cooler you are using!
  4. I was wanting to try to get 4000mhz but when i tried last night it froze and blue screened. i upped the voltage to 1.45 from stock 1.35. I thought maybe i upped the volts too far but i dont know if that will hurt it. I backed down to 3.5ghz but i dont want to fry the chip. I have a Zalman copper fin i forgot the number. but it took my idle down from ~30C to 18-19C. and cpu temp from 40C to 32C.
  5. Best answer selected by PainfulOrpheus.
  6. The overall CPU temp is the important one.
  7. This topic has been closed by Jimmysmitty
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Core Temp