Question about Identities & Desktops

ANNIE

I'm new to Win XP, having upgraded from Win 98SE. We now
have three desktops for family members, but I've noticed
that whatever shortcuts are on my desktop also appear on
my daughter's desktop. I'm not so sure I want her to
have access to all of my software (for example MS
Money). Is there a way to delete a shortcut from her
desktop while leaving it intact on my desktop? I've
tried logging on as her and deleting it from her desktop,
but when I log off her identity and log on as myself, the
icons are deleted off my desktop as well.

Perhaps I'm trying to make Win XP do something it isn't
capable of, but any instructions, advice are appreciated.

Annie

Annie ... if you look at Explorer (Start, Run, type EXPLORER.SCF), and
expand the 'Documents and Settings' folder, you'll see that, in addition
to your three 'User Names', a folder labeled 'All Users'. Some
programs, during their initial install, will not give you the option to
intall to a specific user and the shortcut therefore will appear on the
desktop of 'All Users'. This is apparently what has happened with MS
Money in your case.
All you have to do is expand (click on the + sign to the left of the
name) 'All Users' and go down to the sub-folder labeled 'Desktop'. In
that folder, you should see the icon for MS Money. Drag it, or 'cut and
paste' it, (and any others you don't want displayed to All Users) down
to the 'Desktop' sub-folder under your own expanded User Name. It will
now appear only on your own desktop.
If you want another individual family member to also have access to it
on their desktop, just 'copy and paste' that same shortcut to their
desktop sub-folder.
--
Hope this helps, Fred

Annie wrote:
> I'm new to Win XP, having upgraded from Win 98SE. We now
> have three desktops for family members, but I've noticed
> that whatever shortcuts are on my desktop also appear on
> my daughter's desktop. I'm not so sure I want her to
> have access to all of my software (for example MS
> Money). Is there a way to delete a shortcut from her
> desktop while leaving it intact on my desktop? I've
> tried logging on as her and deleting it from her desktop,
> but when I log off her identity and log on as myself, the
> icons are deleted off my desktop as well.
>
> Perhaps I'm trying to make Win XP do something it isn't
> capable of, but any instructions, advice are appreciated.
>
> Annie

ANNIE

Thanks. It worked perfectly! Annie

Setup programs should

If installed by administrators either install All Users or ask.
If Installed by users either install per user or refuse to install

Typically admins install All Users and are only asked on admin specific software, sometimes. Typically users can't install but may be able to force a per user install (rarely, though it depends on other factors).
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"FredP" <fpouy@*NOSPAM*hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bpsVc.159270$8_6.80902@attbi_s04...
> Annie ... if you look at Explorer (Start, Run, type EXPLORER.SCF), and
> expand the 'Documents and Settings' folder, you'll see that, in addition
> to your three 'User Names', a folder labeled 'All Users'. Some
> programs, during their initial install, will not give you the option to
> intall to a specific user and the shortcut therefore will appear on the
> desktop of 'All Users'. This is apparently what has happened with MS
> Money in your case.
> All you have to do is expand (click on the + sign to the left of the
> name) 'All Users' and go down to the sub-folder labeled 'Desktop'. In
> that folder, you should see the icon for MS Money. Drag it, or 'cut and
> paste' it, (and any others you don't want displayed to All Users) down
> to the 'Desktop' sub-folder under your own expanded User Name. It will
> now appear only on your own desktop.
> If you want another individual family member to also have access to it
> on their desktop, just 'copy and paste' that same shortcut to their
> desktop sub-folder.
> --
> Hope this helps, Fred
>
> Annie wrote:
> > I'm new to Win XP, having upgraded from Win 98SE. We now
> > have three desktops for family members, but I've noticed
> > that whatever shortcuts are on my desktop also appear on
> > my daughter's desktop. I'm not so sure I want her to
> > have access to all of my software (for example MS
> > Money). Is there a way to delete a shortcut from her
> > desktop while leaving it intact on my desktop? I've
> > tried logging on as her and deleting it from her desktop,
> > but when I log off her identity and log on as myself, the
> > icons are deleted off my desktop as well.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm trying to make Win XP do something it isn't
> > capable of, but any instructions, advice are appreciated.
> >
> > Annie

TRENDING THREADS