Motherboard/processor problem

hybrid77

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
hi, im new here & not sure if im in the right place but here goes....

i've had this pc setup for 3 years working perfectly, about a month ago i removed the video card (sapphire hd4870 512mb) to use in another computer. so i didnt power up this pc for a month & just yesterday i tried turning it on using the onboard video card and the asus splash screen was all distorted and frozen. i turned it off and unpluged all unnecessary hardware then powered up again and got a black screen (monitor light flashing-no video). i then tried putting the hd4870 back in the computer thinking maybe its a problem with the onboard graphics card but no change( black screen) & 3 lights on the video card started flashing which ive never seen before. i also tried 2 different power supplies. ive noticed in a lot of cases its just a matter of an adapter or plug not properly seated, i tried my best to make sure everything was connected properly. so in the end i just have the power supply connected to the mother board with 2gb ram & using the onboard video, i tried with & without bothe the harddrive and dvdrom... no change.

specs...

processor: AMD Phenom II x2 - 3.1ghz
motherboard: Asus M3A78-CM
memory: kingston 2gb DDR2
power supply: Corsair vx 450w
dvdrom: LG
harddrive: western digital 320gb

i posted in the motherboard section because it feels like thats the problem but i really hope not.
if theres something obvious im not seeing i'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks a bunch.

hybrid77

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
hi randini, thanks for the reply. theres just 1 stick, kingston 2GB DDr2. i took it out and tried to reseat in all 4 slots. no luck. its a new stick, just bought it about a month ago so im hoping its not defective or fried. i have some other DDR2 i could try if you think it might be the ram. correct me if im wrong but even if the ram is defective or nor seated correctly, shouldn't i still see the MB splash screen or hear some beeps telling me theres an issue with the ram?

hybrid77

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
normally im pretty good at troubleshooting these problems but i just cant figure this out. i guess i have to assume the motherboard and/or processor might have died for no reason. anyway thanks to whoever took the time to look at this problem.