Should the door fan on the case blow in or out?

chazzeromus

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I have a shorter than normal ATX case I've been recently cleaning out everything and oiling fans. And I wondering, would it be more efficient to have the door fan blow onto the motherboard? If so, wouldn't there be a risk for a lot more dust build up?

Solution
If you only have the one fan then you would want to get the hot air out of the case and by having it as an exaust then the intake will come from what ever vents you have , but you do want to have the fan blowing out. Is there any way to add another fan so you can have one blowing in and one blowing out.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
You could purchase a fan filter, that should take care of the dust should you choose to install it as an intake.

I suggest that you simply try both intake and exhaust and see which gives you the best results.

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
using a side door fan as intake or exhaust depends on ur case and gpu. some gpu exhaust the hot ait through the side and some exhaust the hotair out side case through the vents above or below the IO panel. for those cards which exhaust air in case through the heatsink vent its better to have a side door fan as exhaust and at the same side u should have a fan on the case floor to intake the cool air or if not that u should have a powerful front intake .

for the cards that dont exhaust air in the case you can have the side door as an intake

you can check where ur card exhausts hot air by holding a piece of paper

If you only have the one fan then you would want to get the hot air out of the case and by having it as an exaust then the intake will come from what ever vents you have , but you do want to have the fan blowing out. Is there any way to add another fan so you can have one blowing in and one blowing out.

Solution

chazzeromus

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Oh no, I have one front intake and one exhaust in the back. I also have no expansion slot covers, so it seems like most the intaked air would escape and wouldn't fully permeate, so I thought it'd be a good idea that have the air blowing in. But no I do not have another fan to add to the door.

chazzeromus

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Nevermind, I got a new fan and tested with it blowing in, then blowing out. Blowing out seems to be the best, keeping a constant flow of air is better for carrying warm air out seems be the reason I suppose. I was getting temperatures of 45 - 48 C idle with the air blowing inward, blowing outward the temperatures ranged 42 - 45 C. I suppose I should get my expansion slots covered though.