Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down while gaming.

Last response: in Components
March 4, 2012 11:02:15 AM

my sytem automatically shuts down while playing heavy games like fifa 12, nfs carbon, and cod:4 modern warfare. i think the psu is shutting down under heavy load. i cant abuy another psu. i dont have a ups also.

my pc specs;

Mainboard : Asus P5G41T-M LX
Chipset : Intel G41
Processor : Intel Pentium E5700 @ 3000MHz
Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset
Hard Disk : Seagate ST380011A ATA Device (80GB)
CD-Rom Drive : DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL IN2030M - 20 inches
Network Card : Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) AR8151 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 3.4 on 7.9

More about : computer shuts gaming

a c 139 ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 11:05:34 AM

sahilpocker said:
i think the psu is shutting down under heavy load. i cant abuy another psu.
You could be right.
You won't be able to play your games till you fix the problem.
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 11:27:17 AM

sahilpocker said:
my sytem automatically shuts down while playing heavy games like fifa 12, nfs carbon, and cod:4 modern warfare. i think the psu is shutting down under heavy load. i cant abuy another psu. i dont have a ups also.

my pc specs;

Mainboard : Asus P5G41T-M LX
Chipset : Intel G41
Processor : Intel Pentium E5700 @ 3000MHz
Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Hard Disk : Seagate ST380011A ATA Device (80GB)
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL IN2030M - 20 inches
Network Card : Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) AR8151 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 3.4 on 7.9

What PSU do you have? You could also be shutting down due to excessive heat. What do your CPU & GPU temps look like?
Related resources
March 4, 2012 11:44:14 AM

You suspect the PSU to be the problem, but you haven't mentioned what PSU you've got...

And I agree with clarkjd, overheating could be shutting down your PC.
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 11:45:39 AM

Check your system event log and see if there is an error code right before system shutdowns. PSU overloading and overheating are a couple of the common issues associated with this type of shutdown. It could also be hardware conflicts or bad drivers. Upgrade any hardware before you started having the issue? Updated drivers?
a c 666 ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 11:48:12 AM

Agree with the assessment above that it is more likely a temp problem, time to clean the internals of that computer inclusive of PSU with compressed air!
March 4, 2012 11:48:13 AM

Has nobody else noticed this
sahilpocker said:

You will not be able to play any games with that graphics. Im not sure of the reasons for it but when I have tried to play games with onboard graphics quite often the pc crashes
March 4, 2012 1:25:45 PM

I'm having a similar issue. Has happened in Skyrim and Rift... The computer will completely shutdown without warning, similar to a power surge.

PSU: CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 550W (RS-550-PCAR)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2400
Mobo: AsRock H61M-VS
HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 300gb @ 7200rpm, 2x 320gb WD @ 7200rpm
Video: ATI Radeon 5670 512DDR5
RAM: 2x g.skill 2gb ddr3 1333

I've got a dvdrw combo drive and 1 case fan.

I'm fairly certain the 550W should be enough power, but I'm also fairly certain it is the cause of my issue.

Any other thoughts???

Thanks!

edit: I do have a 1tb WD external plugged in via USB (no external power required) as well as an iPod dock (nothing plugged into it). Could that be the issue? I'm wondering if that is what's stressing out the PSU...

2nd edit: Reading about this particular PSU, I'm a little confused about the 12v rails..of which it has two. They are 12v * 16a, which even combined is not even close to 550w, it's more like 384w...am I reading that correctly? The reviews for this PSU were pretty good...not sure how this thing could power a modern machine if I'm understanding the rail voltage correctly.
March 4, 2012 2:26:51 PM

I have been running Skyrim without any problems utilising a 500watt PSU supporting a Geforce 8800GTS 320mb graphics card.

How much power does your graphics card pull at max? It may be overloading your PSU, causing an auto shutdown.

On this site there is a good article on PSU.

Cheers
March 4, 2012 2:40:55 PM

My video card says it requires a 400w or greater PSU..which I assume I have (550w)

Could cooling be an issue? I only have 1 case fan...but it doesn't seem to be physically "hot". Any internal temperature programs I should try?
March 4, 2012 5:14:50 PM

Hi

Try Speccy, its light on resources and gives you temp s for Mobo too.

Cheers
a b ) Power supply
March 5, 2012 12:15:53 AM

WTFpwned said:
My video card says it requires a 400w or greater PSU..which I assume I have (550w)

Could cooling be an issue? I only have 1 case fan...but it doesn't seem to be physically "hot". Any internal temperature programs I should try?

According to this review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
your PSU is definitely suspect.
March 5, 2012 2:34:59 PM

clarkjd said:
According to this review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
your PSU is definitely suspect.

I was afraid of that... My system specs are listed above. Any good reccommendations?

I'm trying to not break the bank here and don't plan on changing/upgrading anytime soon.
March 15, 2013 4:36:02 AM

Remember that just because 400 is recommended does not mean that its the minimum wattage you need for the PSU. Other factors you need to consider are the processor itself, any fans, cd drives, memory disks, RAM memory, the motherboard itself, etc. All of these things take power, and altogether it might have been too much for the PSU, and thus it would shut down.
!