Motherboard Problem?

ProSnipor

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Hi all, this is my first help thread so i hope you guys can help me out with my problem. Alright, so i got an HD 7950 for Christmas along with an FX 8350. I installed both parts and was problem free for two days, then problems arose... My PC wouldn't boot (fans would spin up, but my bios wouldn't load. I know its not just a no post because my keyboard LEDs turn on when i reach the BIOS screen...my LEDs never turned on.) Regardless, i re-seated my HD 7950 and my problems went away for another day or so. Then it happened again, i followed this procedure about three more times and finally got fed up and very frustrated. I figured my 7950 was dying so i decided to put my HD 5770 back in my PC just to verify. Everything was fine for the rest of the day, but when i turned on my PC the day after i was greeted with another no boot scenario. This time i put my HD 5770 in my second PCI-E slot (wired for 4x) and started using my PC like that. I powered my PC on and off three times that day with no problems so i thought i finally caught the problem. Well, i didn't because i still got a no boot scenario the next day. My assumption is that my motherboard is at fault, but before i spend money and buy a new motherboard (was looking at this any other suggestions would be appreciated also.) you guys would point me in the right direction. I really don't wanna go out and buy a new motherboard and still run into my no boot scenario, and I don't want to go to a PC shop and pay someone to tell me what i already think is the problem. To sum things up, all i need to do fix this problem is just re-seat my graphics card, what could cause this? Can someone please help me? My current board is an Asrock 970 Extreme3 (cheap board, but was reliable for the 9 months I've had it, before this problem that is).

Thank you so much in advance!

-Gaz

Solution

Unfortunately it is very likely a dead board. I had a board die in an HP machine that exhibited all these symptoms, to be sure, do you have a motherboard speaker?

IF YES: plug it in and listen for POST beeps

IF NO: call it bricked because there isn't much else to test

sneak_stealth

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
There is a very low chance that both of your cards failed, It's likely a problem with your PCI ports, but it's still a good idea to verify your video cards in another pc and to try onboard video

ProSnipor

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
So i think my motherboard finally went and bricked on me today. I turned on my PC and it refused to boot, even after changing my graphics card like i did before. I tried both PCI-e slots and still couldn't get to my BIOS screen (keyboard LEDs wouldn't light up like i posted before). Fans and everything would still spin up, but that's about it. What do you guys think? Is it a dead motherboard???

sneak_stealth

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Unfortunately it is very likely a dead board. I had a board die in an HP machine that exhibited all these symptoms, to be sure, do you have a motherboard speaker?

IF YES: plug it in and listen for POST beeps

IF NO: call it bricked because there isn't much else to test

Solution