New build, a few easy questions

mwtrempus

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
This is the first gaming rig I have built, I have built computers for my job but nothing that was high performance, so I have some video card and OC questions. I know some basic stuff and I just want to make sure this all looks like a solid build.

Approximate Purchase Date: tomorrow

Budget Range: I spent 896$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: most: Gaming ....least: what else can you use a computer for?

Parts Not Required: just building the tower I got a key board, monitor and mouse

Overclocking: maybe later not now

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: IDK its a standard 19 inch flat screen I can look this up later

OK so basically I already bought these parts but I just am having a hard time finding info out about the graphics card, and I have a few questions. I am using SLI and I the two cards listed below, what kind of preformance can I expect from these cards using SLI? I read a lot of conflicting Info about this particular card, some people seem to think its almsot worthless and some people love it.

Also, if I want to overclock this PC since I have bought the I5 unlocked processor, do I need an after market high performance cooling fan or liquid cooling? Or will I be able to OC a little without those extra cooling requirements? The case is full sized with 3 fans in it, both the cards have fans and obviously the PSU and CPU have a fan. Thank you for your help!

CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R

DVD ROM LITE-ON|iHDS118-04 18X % - OEM

PSU ROSEWILL|RBR1000-M 1000W RT

CASE RAIDMAX|TORNADO BL ATX-238WU R

HD 500G|WD SATA2 32M WD5000AADS % - OEM

MB ASUS|P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) P67 R

VGA GALAXY|25SGF6HX1RUV GTS250 1GB

MEM 4Gx4|RIPJAW F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

bizzy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
If you plan to OC at all then you will most definitely want some cooling. If you plan to OC a lot then I would suggest the Corsair H60, 80, or 100. If not then the Scythe Shuriken is probably your best bet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097 <- Scythe Shuriken
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017&Tpk=corsair%20h100 <- Corsair H100

As for your video card, I was also running two GTS 250's, although the 512mb variant. My system was still able to run Skyrim, Saints Row The Third, BF3, etc., all extremely smoothly. The only downside is that you will not be able to turn on most of the eye candy. Up to you whether or not that kind of stuff is important to you, but it will run those games fine.

The time to ask is BEFORE you buy, not after.
You would have received many suggestions for better components and $ savings.

To answer your questions:

1) sli of two low end graphics cards will give you good FPS in benchmarks.
But, be prepared for microstuttering which can be annoying. Read this article for more:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

2) The stock cooler is ok for OC up to a point. That said, I would spend $30 or so up front for an aftermarket cooler such as the xigmatek gaia or cm hyper212.
They will be easier to install, be quieter, and cool better. In a decent case, an air cooler will be as efficient and cheaper.

mwtrempus

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I just had a few questions and not so much needing help with picking the parts, I probably should of posted this in another section but thanks thats helpful. I think in a few months ill buy water cooling and upgrade the graphics card. Right now I just want to be able to play diablo 3 once it comes out.