Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High pitched hum from PSU.

Last response: in Components
March 4, 2012 2:05:57 PM

I have a Corsair HX750W, brand new, the computer seems to be working, it was built less than a day ago, but if I learn down by the case I can hear a feint high pitched noise coming from the area around the power supply... I can also somewhat hear it from my desk... I'm curious if this is an issue, if I should worry about replacing it. Should I discontinue using it?

I'm not sure if it's normal because it's so feint, and I have.. super hearing... lol.

More about : high pitched hum psu

March 4, 2012 2:19:47 PM

When dealing with PSUs id always excersize caution first. Coil whine? Cap going bad? If it does go, it could take out your entire system.
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:24:01 PM

Rebmob said:
I have a Corsair HX750W, brand new, the computer seems to be working, it was built less than a day ago, but if I learn down by the case I can hear a feint high pitched noise coming from the area around the power supply... I can also somewhat hear it from my desk... I'm curious if this is an issue, if I should worry about replacing it. Should I discontinue using it?

I'm not sure if it's normal because it's so feint, and I have.. super hearing... lol.

Try scrolling in Internet Explorer if you can hear the noise higher I would say it's coilwhine.
Over the years Ive had alot of components with coilwhine, for GPU's the noise is heard extra when scrolling.

If you find the noise annoying you can RMA it to Corsair or reseller.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2012 2:26:01 PM

Well you can turn off PC, put a screwdriver nex to fan blade so that it can't move when turning PC on.

So when you turn on PC the fan can't move, if the noise disappears the problem was the fan.

My bet is Coil whine, unfortunately common but you can RMA it.
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:37:08 PM

It's a steady high pitched noise it doesn't change as in higher or lower just a steady feint high pitched hum. Not TOO high pitched, high pitched for someone OCD like me to get frustrated and annoyed over. I thought it could be the PSU fan too, might have to look into that. Doesn't matter if I'm scrolling or gaming, the noise is steady and about the same pitch. It doesn't change.
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:46:46 PM

Well you can RMA it, but you need to be 100% sure it's the PSU that is the problem.

Corsair is generous when it comes to RMA, you could also RMA it to the reseller if they are good.
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:08:29 PM

grandpatzer said:
Well you can RMA it, but you need to be 100% sure it's the PSU that is the problem.

Corsair is generous when it comes to RMA, you could also RMA it to the reseller if they are good.

I know the sound is coming directly from the PSU... I bought it from Newegg.

Do you think my system will be fine running for a week or two irregardless of feint noise coming from the PSU?
m
l

Best solution

March 4, 2012 4:43:56 PM

vrumor said:
When dealing with PSUs id always excersize caution first. Coil whine? Cap going bad? If it does go, it could take out your entire system.

I'd agree with this, dont risk the whole system
March 4, 2012 4:54:08 PM

Yeah Ive hear of that aswell that some brand new Psu's stop having noise after 2weeks, don't have experience with it myself but you could try it if you want.

Also RMA is a option, Ive hade many Corsair psu's low noise units.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:35:44 AM

Best answer selected by Rebmob.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:20:13 AM

I decided to RMA it to Newegg. I should recieve the replacement in two or three days. :) 
m
l
December 18, 2012 12:29:53 AM

I know this sounds strange, but i've had the issue of the high pitched whine sound that seemed to come from the gpu/psu area. It was odd because it would fluctuate directly from mouse scrolling and intense graphic scenes. And much to my astonishment , after many hours of trying to figure out what it could be, as the computer was on , i unplugged one of the case fans, and viola! the sound was completely gone. I dont' understand it , but it was a bad fan causing my problem.
m
l
!