Motherboard doesn't beep or boot on start-up, every thing except the CPU fan is

dakylesteryo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Tl;dr I don't know if my cpu or motherboard is broken. Pretty sure it's my motherboard.

This started about three days ago. My computer (that I built on Christmas) was doing just fine, when in the middle of playing Fallout New Vegas, the screen turned black. The computer was still on, but the monitor didn't detect my computer. I unplugged and plugged it in again, but it was still the same. I decided to check out the inside. I turned it on again and noticed that the motherboard wasn't lighting up and the cpu fan wasn't working. Everything else seemed fine, except that I couldn't turn off my computer without unplugging the PSU manually. I took out my cpu to check if the pins were bent, but they were just fine. My question is, what is the problem? I suspect that it's the motherboard, but I just wanna know what everyone else thinks. I also know for a fact that no fluids were spilled on anything and I was grounded (electrically) the whole time I was building the computer. If it helps, my motherboard is a ASrock 970 Extreme4 and my cpu is an AMD FX 8150. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

dakylesteryo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I had issues and completely forgot about this thread. Anyway, when I get home, I'll try another power supply, but if I might ask, why does it sound like the power supply?

cela_elis

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Ok,,, so i had the exact same problem as you and asked a question on the internet and the reply worked.. My pc started like normal... Here is the link:http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130119010051AA2Mzee
so basically you have to clear the cmos/bios....
1-Remove the bios battery for half an hour
2- set the cmos jumper from position 1-2 to position 2-3)(if u have no idea what im talking about search the internet)
3-put back the bios battery
4-open your pc... It should beep...
5- shutdown your pc and set the jumper back to the original position 1-2
dont forget trying this with everything except the cpu/psu/mobo/cooler usually helps... Well dont know if it will work for you but it brought my pc to life... I thought for sure my mobo was fried... Hope this helps, i know it helped me

cela_elis

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Ok,,, so i had the exact same problem as you and asked a question on the internet and the reply worked.. My pc started like normal... Here is the link:http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130119010051AA2Mzee
2- set the cmos jumper from position 1-2 to position 2-3)(if u have no idea what im talking about search the internet)
dont forget trying this with everything except the cpu/psu/mobo/cooler usually helps... Well dont know if it will work for you but it brought my pc to life... I thought for sure my mobo was fried... Hope this helps, i know it helped me

cela_elis

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013