Upgrading laptop graphics card

juddernaught

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I would like to upgrade my nVidia 330M GT inside my Sony Vaio VPCF1190X, but am unsure what is compatible or if I even can. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Or more generally, does anyone know how to upgrade a laptop graphics card?

Solution
It would be near impossible to take a laptop and recycle hardware onto a desktop motherboard. The reason why you can't reuse the parts is because of the interfaces used. Open a laptop and then a desktop and you'll see that the parts go together totally differently. For some items you could build custom connectors but that is hardly worth it.

If the laptop is overheating (or other simple problem), it isn't impossible to remount the laptop in a desktop case. You'd then have to plug in a USB mouse & keyboard, and plug in a display to the external HDMI/DVI/Display port. Then add a couple case fans blowing on the overheating part(s) and your laptop will again serve a useful purpose. I did this once with my old laptop.

However, if any...

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Not many laptops are capable of upgrading parts other than the RAM, HDD and optical drives.

Based on a quick check of the manual found online you can not upgrade the graphics card (or at least it isn't natively supported and you might be able to hack something together with some nice engineering work)

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

?? clarify plz.
you cant mobile parts in a desktop. are you talking abt a new build?

juddernaught

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

I meant transfering the parts from the laptop into a newly-built desktop - specifically the processor and graphics card. But this doesn't seem possible.

I've never built a computer before, so I wanted to know if that sort of recycling was possible.

makafri

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I think is possible with a custom build but I wouldn't do it... you better start building a desktop pc from 0... the only thing you can really use effectively without problems in a desktop is the hardrive... even that I wouldnt recommend it...

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
It would be near impossible to take a laptop and recycle hardware onto a desktop motherboard. The reason why you can't reuse the parts is because of the interfaces used. Open a laptop and then a desktop and you'll see that the parts go together totally differently. For some items you could build custom connectors but that is hardly worth it.

If the laptop is overheating (or other simple problem), it isn't impossible to remount the laptop in a desktop case. You'd then have to plug in a USB mouse & keyboard, and plug in a display to the external HDMI/DVI/Display port. Then add a couple case fans blowing on the overheating part(s) and your laptop will again serve a useful purpose. I did this once with my old laptop.

However, if any non-replaceable parts broke then the laptop is pretty much trash.

Solution

juddernaught

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Nothing is broken or overheating (99.9% positive). I'm just getting terrible performance when trying to play Battlefield 3 and Dead Island.

I think the problem is the graphics card (GeForce 330M GT), which just can't keep up with the processor (i7-720 or 820). So I was hoping to save a few bucks on creating a new computer by recycling the old parts or just replacing the graphics card. It appears that it can't be done and workarounds don't appear to be worth it...

Thanks a ton for helping a neophyte out!

Now off to learn how to build a desktop! For science!

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

I tried holding it...but after 5 seconds....I bursted in laugh haaahahhahahahhahah

Friend, altough you cant upgrade your card, you may get an external videocard for your laptop.

1. vidock if you have expresscard slot or 2. you can open the computer and use the mini pcie connector, connect to mini pcie connector to pcie x16 converter and a desktop psu for power. But I don't think you want to do number 2 and your card will be very bottlenecked by the pcie x1 speed. IMO, non of these upgrade is worth it.

better to spend the upgrade money on a desktop gaming build or a gaming laptop if you need mobile gaming.