[Problem] Blank Monitor?

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hi all,

So my monitor keeps randomly blanking on me, by this I mean it doesn't power off it just goes black, I can hear all the background noise of my games so everything is still running. This has been happening since I first installed my new graphics card about a month ago, at first I thought it wasn't getting enough power from my old CIT-450W. However, I recently replaced that with an Alpine 750W and while this PSU is also low grade, I think it puts out enough power out for a Radeon HD 6770.

Since I've had the card I have reseated it twice, including when I replace my power supply, I have dusted down the motherboard and the case, so I don't see a problem there. The temperature of the card seems fine at all times so I haven't got a clue.

Funnily enough, I've never had the problem while playing Battlefield, it happens occasionally with League of Legends and all too frequently on Minecraft.

So I'm unsure if I should blame hardware, or software.

From what I've checked, there are no known errors like this in the driver software.

System Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
Alpine 750W (does have a 6pin connector)
Seagate 500GB HD
VGA Samsung Syncmaster 2243

All help is welcome of course and is all appreciated. The problem has me sort of worried, if its a problem with the card, I want to get it sorted soon as possible.

It almost sounds as if your VGA cable is going loose. Did you make sure it is tightened on the GPU VGA output?

Also check your power cable for your monitor. Make sure it is plugged in good.

Do you have the latest driver for your video card? Uninstall the old one and re-install the new one.

One other thing - do you have a spare LCD screen you could try out? Maybe give that a shot too. If a working different screen works on your computer - it's leading me to believe you might have a bad monitor.

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
The cable is secure on both sides, screws are tight.

Power cable is secure.

I recently installed the latest driver for my card.

I've used a HDMI cable for my LCD TV once, directly from my card to the TV. Come to think of it, an error cropped up after about an hour concerning DirectX. Can't remember the specifics. I'll experiment with the VGA cable now.

I don't believe its my monitor as I had no such issues with my previous card, an nvidia geforce 9500 gt. A fairly old card though, less things to go wrong I guess ^^

Still, couldn't hurt to stick the VGA in to the TV. :) Will be back with more soon.

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Well it's still on now, haven't played any games. Typical browsing and nothings come up so far. So a good 3 hours but my monitor experiences no problems with these things either.