First Time Build: Not a Gaming Build

BrandonF

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I have been scanning over these forums for the past couple weeks trying to find information on building my first computer. I'm not a gamer, i'm looking to use the computer for photo/video editing as well as music. Everybody on these forums seem quite knowledgable so please advise.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: $800-$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo editing (photoshop), Music Production, Video Editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor, mouse, speakers... the basic stuff

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com/newegg.com both trusted not aposed to other sites that can be confirmed trusted

Parts Preferences: Everybody has been telling me go with Intel and Nvidia, but i'm not opposed to other brands as long they are reliable

Overclocking: doubtful

SLI or Crossfire: I'm not really sure what this means

Additional Comments: This computer is going anywhere so I don't care about aesthetics. I would also like to reiterate, i'm not a gamer. This is my first time build but I do have friends who have experience with building computers.

Also I have seen website like Ibuypower.com and system76.com are these decent alternatives to a custom build?

Thank you

Brandon

target50

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
you can add another website onto your list: www.eio.com
very trusted electronics website with a nice rating.

1st thing... SLI and Crossfire is basically a setting you use when you double or triple up on a graphics card. its more for gaming so it shouldnt be prioritized for you.

depending on how much processing you're doing to be doing on photoshop, you might want a decent graphics card, as to a nice processor a enough ram.

Music Production takes up a lot of cpu usage and ram usage, depending on how many channels and tracks youre going to be working with.

same goes with video editing.

so i would suggest you spend most of your money on a nice motherboard thats compatible to... maybe an Intel i5 or a i7 with... at least 8GB of ram, just to be safe?
graphics card wise... i would say GTX570 or so.

BrandonF

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Is it worth saving money to go with an AMD processor and using that extra money on a better graphics card like the GTX570 which seems to run around $350. I'm not sure i could squeeze that into my budget with an i7.