Can BT 1.2 headsets connect with Centrino?

Last response: in Technologies
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 1:07:07 PM

Hello gurus,
Few days ago I bought a Bluetooth hands-free earpiece namely Logitech
Mobile Freedom Headset
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/E...
It turned to be a Bluetooth 1.2 peripheral. Bluetooth is a totally new
ground for me so I would appreciate your answers for the following:
q1. Can BT 1.2 connect with Centrino-based laptops?
My question is coming from my failure to use the new headset with my
Acer TMC300 laptop. It is Centrino based, and has bluetooth built in.
The OS is Win XP Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 2 up and running.
The laptop detected and paired properly with the headset but its
Properties->Services page was blank, i.e. no services at all.
Consequently, I couldn't activate it in the audio control panel (as a
speaker+microphone).
Googling tonight, I understood (or misunderstood) that Win XP SP2 does
not support Bluetooth 1.2. Some pages were advising to download the
Bluetooth 1.2 stack.
q2. Where can one download the Bluetooth 1.2 stack?
TIA gurus.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 1:47:41 PM

It depends on the Bluetooth software, not on the Centrino technology.

If your Bluetooth software supports the Headset profile then you should be
ok. You have to confirm with Acer that this is the case. Once you have this
confirmation, then you have to place the headset in pairing mode (read the
manual, eacg is a different case, but most of the time you turn it on while
pressing the talk button). Then from your laptop you do a Bluetooth search,
and pair. The pairing code for headsets is 0000 in general (except old
models have their own codes).

Check this guide: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=903

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com