I can never get HDMI from PC to HDTV to look good at all

StarvingBum

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I really have no idea what I am doing, nothing I look up on google has been of any help at all. Whenever I plug in my HDMI cable from my HD 6870 to my 42 inch RCA LED HDTV, it is just a mess. The colors are off no matter how much I mess with the settings on my TV and in the AMD vision control center. Text is almost impossible to make out. When I try to watch any kind of video, I really can not explain this but it just looks so weird. It looks like it has the frame rate of being shot from a home video camera or something along those lines.

When I connect my PC via the VGA cable it looks perfect without any adjustments at all. I just would like to be able to view things in 1080 rather than 720 all the time, any help would be appreciated at all.

bucknutty

Distinguished
What’s the max resolution of the TV?

Sometimes the AMD control panel messes up the resolution and the little slider at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution in windows 7 will not work. I have 2 AMD based PCs plugged into TVs and for some reason I had to do this for both.

I have to change the resolution from within the catalyst control panel. If that does not work, try creating a custom resolution in the catalyst control panel of 1920x1080 with a refresh rate of 60. Then switch to that new resolution.

The VGA cable is capable of the same resolution as HDMI, other than audio you will get no detectable increase in quality with the HDMI over VGA or DVI.

StarvingBum

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Well with VGA I can only go up to a maximum resolution of 1600 x 1200 (will not let me go any higher), when I have the HDMI cable plugged in I can go all the way up to 1920 x 1080, it just looks really bad.

Chas_50

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
You need to enable the HDTV to accept a PC input. On mine, this is done by labeling the input as a game input. But this does more than just display a label. It turns off all the HDTV processing that tries to make a movie look better but just mucks up a PC display.

StarvingBum

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

I have no such setting on my TV :(

StarvingBum

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
After some messing around with settings I found one I never played with, called MFC. I turned it off and now my video looks completely fine. Now if I could just make text look perfect I would be good to go :p