Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best single slot video card 2011 video editing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2011 8:13:47 PM

Looking for a single slot PCIe graphics card for HD video editing to improve on the performance of an NVidia GT 220. With HD camcorders becoming the norm, the requirement for rendering this amount of video information will increase - even for many of us who do not need gaming support features. Are there currently good cards to do this? Do any support Direct X 11? Are there any expected to come out?

Jim Stewart - video editing enthusiast
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 10:32:24 PM

Well maybe go for a nvidea because of the cuda cores. Maybe a 400 series ?

It also depends on which programs you use ;

For Adobe Premiere CS5 Mercury Playback engine we recommend the nVidia GTX470/570+ or a Quadro 2000/4000 card.
For Avid Media Composer we recommend a minimum of a QuadroFX1800 or Quadro2000.
Sony Vegas does not benefit from GPU while editing, but Vegas 10 does offer some GPU accelerated rendering. So for Vegas 9 any good ATI or nVidia card with 768+
megs RAM will do. Vegas Pro 11 will support GPU and CUDA acceleration, so get a GTX470/570 or higher.
For consumer video editing apps like Pinnacle Studio we recommend an ATI or nVidia card with 768+ megs

http://videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+System+recommend...

Btw, no need for your full name, identity theft is real.
Score
October 4, 2011 10:35:11 PM

what is your budget?
Score
Related resources
October 5, 2011 3:32:56 PM

I have recently started using Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultimate a 64 bit program. (I have used both Pinnacle Studio and Premiere Elements but found both wanting.) I have a relatively powerful HP Pavillion Elite desktop with the first version of the core i7 950 processor and 12 GB DDR3 memory. I opted for the 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 220 board thinking I would upgrade only to discover that the computer had a single slot. Do any of your recommended boards come in a single slot version? If so what would be best with the computer and this video editing program.

GreenDutchAlien said:
Well maybe go for a nvidea because of the cuda cores. Maybe a 400 series ?

It also depends on which programs you use ;

For Adobe Premiere CS5 Mercury Playback engine we recommend the nVidia GTX470/570+ or a Quadro 2000/4000 card.
For Avid Media Composer we recommend a minimum of a QuadroFX1800 or Quadro2000.
Sony Vegas does not benefit from GPU while editing, but Vegas 10 does offer some GPU accelerated rendering. So for Vegas 9 any good ATI or nVidia card with 768+
megs RAM will do. Vegas Pro 11 will support GPU and CUDA acceleration, so get a GTX470/570 or higher.
For consumer video editing apps like Pinnacle Studio we recommend an ATI or nVidia card with 768+ megs

http://videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+System+recommend...

Btw, no need for your full name, identity theft is real.

Score
October 5, 2011 3:33:41 PM

technoviceguy said:
what is your budget?

I'm looking up to about $300.
Score
October 5, 2011 6:11:08 PM

how long a video card will your case limit?

how about getting a new case? (ideal and adds minimum cost/maximum benefit)

if you get a new case you will be able to fit a really nice video card for hd video/editing/visual content (basically best bet and then let's go from there) if not,

what is the model number of your pc?
Score
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:52:59 AM

What do you mean by single slot ? You have only 1 slot but with room underneath that ? Or you have one slot and no room what so ever ? I mean by this that all the double slot cards physicly only use 1 pcie slot but do need the room of 2 slots because of the casing and fan. Sometimes people think they really need 2 pcie slots, thats why i ask.
Score
October 6, 2011 1:59:25 PM

technoviceguy said:
how long a video card will your case limit?

how about getting a new case? (ideal and adds minimum cost/maximum benefit)

if you get a new case you will be able to fit a really nice video card for hd video/editing/visual content (basically best bet and then let's go from there) if not,

what is the model number of your pc?

My model is a HP Pavillion Elite e9280t and its about 2 years old with an early core i7 950 processor and 12 GB DDR3 memory
Score
October 6, 2011 2:01:33 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
What do you mean by single slot ? You have only 1 slot but with room underneath that ? Or you have one slot and no room what so ever ? I mean by this that all the double slot cards physicly only use 1 pcie slot but do need the room of 2 slots because of the casing and fan. Sometimes people think they really need 2 pcie slots, thats why i ask.

Excellent point. I have no idea, since I haven't looked inside. You may well be right that the space will accommodate something larger than a "single slot" card.
Score
October 6, 2011 8:08:39 PM

Video editing enthusiast said:
Excellent point. I have no idea, since I haven't looked inside. You may well be right that the space will accommodate something larger than a "single slot" card.

you are fine with a regular card...just checked HP's website
Score
October 6, 2011 8:10:20 PM

you will want to get a shorter card
Score
October 13, 2011 5:50:54 PM

technoviceguy said:
you will want to get a shorter card

Thank you.
Score
October 13, 2011 7:11:53 PM

how many watts does your psu have?