Lost Internet connection

tmilnek

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hello, PC user in my apartment building says her Internet connection is gone. Went in on problem and user is using windows XP and Lan connection and 1394 connection. When starting up IE it aborts with no Internet connection and cable is unplugged on lan connection. User swers she was able to Mozilla Firefox to go on Skpe at one time. There is no evidence cable connections ever having been made between PC and Comcast supplied Cisco router. As not real w/1394 but from what I read, cabling is necessary for that too. User requesting Comcast come out but any ideas what it could be ?

No, the 1394 in the network list is not for a webcam. The webcam would be USB, and will not show up in the network adapter list.

When you look in the LAN connections, what connections are there? Did you check the cable from the router/modem to the PC? Are there lights on the network card where the ethernet cable connects? Try a different cable if no lights. If no lights after that, try a different port on the router if available. If not, try to re-install the network card drivers. If that dows not owrk, you are left with either a bad connection either on the modem or on the PC. If possible, try another PC on that cable to narrow down the issue. If another computer works, the network card on the computer went bad.

tmilnek

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Turns out PC was using wireless as I suspected as there was no cable connection betwenn PC and cable modem. Users brother took three with Comcast to solve problem. User has connectivity back. thank You and Happy New Year.