Need help deciding to upgrade my CPU

AldosFirestar

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Thank you so much for reading this. A couple of months ago i bought a new gaming PC with the following specifications:
-CPU AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition
-MoBo Gigabyte 990 FXA UD3 rev 1.0
-RAM DDR III Corsair 4 GB x2 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B)
-GPU Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 x2 (SLI)
-PSU Corsair HX850W Professional Series SLI ready
-HDD Samsung HD520HJ (500gb)
-Case NZXT Phantom
Haven't overclocked anything,CPU cooler is stock. This rig performs well on games like RE5 o SF4 (fps above 120), but when running a heavy based CPU game it starts lagging, this game is AION, on populated areas the fps goes down to 17. I also used 3Dmark11 and could notice a poor performance on the CPU tests (11 to 15 fps). I used GPUZ to check the GPU usage while running AION, and it's around 22%. After googling a bit, i learned that my CPU is bottlenecking the system, so i decided to replace my CPU. I thought about some options:
-Get the new FX-8150, but it performs poorly on gaming.
-Overclock my current CPU, but i have no idea how to do that.
-Change my Mobo/Cpu combo, and get an Intel based platform (core i5 2500k+z68 MoBo).

Please, i need your recomendations/suggestions given my current situation. Thank you in advance.

Solution
It really depends on how much cash you have to spend.

If you are on a budget I would suggest buying a $80 water cooler and overclocking your Phenom II
There are overclocking guides in the overclocking section.

If you have got a spare $600 dollars lying around I would consider buying the intel combo and selling the amd parts on Ebay.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
It really depends on how much cash you have to spend.

If you are on a budget I would suggest buying a $80 water cooler and overclocking your Phenom II
There are overclocking guides in the overclocking section.

If you have got a spare $600 dollars lying around I would consider buying the intel combo and selling the amd parts on Ebay.

Solution