Sign in with
Your question

Please help and don't ignore

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 9:42:41 PM

I've been useing this calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine. and it says that with my system and 2 6850's that it would withdraw only 400watts.
I have a pretty nice 500watt power supply. With 12 volt rails. And enough amps. Here's the link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
thanks

More about : ignore

a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2011 9:45:55 PM

Ignore what ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 9:48:10 PM

I just post stuff on here sometimes and nobody reply's......
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2011 9:51:20 PM

Aha.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2011 9:52:13 PM

Sorry, being a bit tipsy i believe.
I'll have a look at it, be back later.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2011 10:02:15 PM

Well your first link doesn't work. It only shows the site so i can't see your system specs and so. The psu is reasonable good quality i think.
According to guru full load the system uses 421W so 500W should be enough theoraticly, BUT reccomended is a 650W supply to be safe. The psu won't like being stressed out to the max for longer periods of gaming.

Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
Radeon HD 6850 x1 On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 6850 x2 A second card requires you to add another ~130 Watts. You need a 650 Watt power supply unit.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-cross...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 10:08:09 PM

How old is your PSU? my modxstream pro 600W blew up last saturday after 1 year of non intensive use. You should get a better quality 650w at least.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2011 10:17:28 PM

BlackHawk91 said:
How old is your PSU? my modxstream pro 600W blew up last saturday after 1 year of non intensive use. You should get a better quality 650w at least.

there are plenty of people who have had good quality corsair and antec PSU's blow up after less than a year of use also. It happens to every manufacturer. Dont judge a brand from one faulty product, and it may have been an environmental fault too, not a manufacturing fault. Power surge, dirty power, dusty environment, cockroach shorted it out, etc. etc.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2011 10:19:02 PM

"cockroach shorted it out, etc. etc."

Or flies for that matter, had one of them fried crispy in my old P3.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 11:21:42 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
there are plenty of people who have had good quality corsair and antec PSU's blow up after less than a year of use also. It happens to every manufacturer. Dont judge a brand from one faulty product, and it may have been an environmental fault too, not a manufacturing fault. Power surge, dirty power, dusty environment, cockroach shorted it out, etc. etc.

Yeah, it was most likely a power surge but I don't blame ocz, I just felt upset because I live in another country and the rma process and shipping would be expensive and not worthy, I guess I had bad luck with that one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 6:32:14 PM

Thank you all for your comments! I'm sorry i haven't gotten back to them in a timely fashion.
I think i'm going to try it. No ocing; use as little power as possible! And if it blows up i'll buy another.
Could the psu dieing kill my video cards?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2011 1:54:07 AM

yes, when a PSU dies it can push a voltage spike through other components. I have experienced this and enede up with a dead PSU and motherboard.
m
l
!