How to upgrade my inspiron 11z to a 64-bit operating system

suttond1s

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I want to upgrade the RAM on my dell 11z from 2 to 8 gigabits. I was informed that I would need to upgrade my operating system to a 64 bit operating system. Is this something I can do or do I need to have a technician perform the task?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Looks like you currently have a 32-bit Operating System. With 32-bit the RAM limit is 4 GBs. If 4 GBs are sufficient for what you are using the computer for, just add RAM.

Your manual will explain how.

One RAM module is under the case, and the other is under the keyboard. Care must be exercised when changing the RAM modules.

If you need to have 8 GBs of RAM, then you will need a 64-bit Operating System, and new RAM modules.

JRock247

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Upgrading your OS from 32bit to 64bit is as easy as installing the Operating System. You will need to buy a 64bit version of your operating system, then I advise making complete a full backup of all your data (images, music, downloads, etc) and then perform a fresh install of the new 64bit OS.

Please be aware that some program manufacturers DON'T offer 64bit versions of there software, 99.9% do but please be aware of this.

Unfortionatly the only way to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit, is a fresh install of Windows.