Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MCP6P M2 + power pobem

Last response: in Components
Share
March 4, 2012 7:15:52 PM

I just recently brought a new case and transferred all my hardware from my old case to my new case. Everything worked fine for a few days then I started having problems with the computer cutting off. Also when pressing the power button on the computer sometimes it will power up and stay on for a minute or so and sometimes it will act like it wants to power up but then it wont come on. I have checked to make sure everything was connected right and securely. I also swapped out my old power supply for the new one and It did the same thing so I guess its not that. I disconnected all the switch wires from the MOBO except for the power switch. Im thinking it could possible be a short in the power switch wire or a short in the motherboard where the power switch goes into. Im not really sure how to figure out what is wrong. any suggestions?

More about : mcp6p power pobem

March 4, 2012 7:34:34 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Disconnect the power switch connectors that plug into the mobo "PWR" header pins. Start the computer by shorting out these 2 header pins using a flat blade screw driver. This will tell you whether the case connectors are good or not.
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 8:53:49 PM

I tried that plus I also tried to put everything back in the old case and It still wouldnt power up so im guessing the connectors on my new case are good. so now im thinking it could be a short in the motherboard?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 4, 2012 10:15:43 PM

I checked out that link and checked everything over and it seems to be ok so im going to start by replacing the motherboard. Would that be the best thing to replace to try and fix this problem?
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 10:17:04 PM

jdog32310 said:
I checked out that link and checked everything over and it seems to be ok so im going to start by replacing the motherboard. Would that be the best thing to replace to try and fix this problem?

Check the RAM one module at a time before you buy a new motherboard.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 12:00:22 AM

I did notice on the 24 pin power connector cable from the power supply to the motherboard it looks like all 24 holes have a pin or something in it and 1 hole doesnt have anything in it? could this possible be the problem?
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 12:10:32 AM

jdog32310 said:
I did notice on the 24 pin power connector cable from the power supply to the motherboard it looks like all 24 holes have a pin or something in it and 1 hole doesnt have anything in it? could this possible be the problem?

One is blank. 5th. one from one end. Don't know the pin number.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 12:35:27 AM

i took each piece of ram out individually and tried it and It still wouldnt power on
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 12:36:26 AM

oh ok i wasnt sure about that
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 1:17:55 AM

I been playing around with it all day and couldnt figure nothing out. left it alone for a little while then tried restarting it again and it started and loaded up and hasnt cut off yet. Only been about 10 minutes so far though. This is really starting to irritate me. Like it has a mind of its own. I just still dont understand what would cause it to cut off on its own or not power up but yet sometimes it will power up like it just did!
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 7:38:26 AM

I left the computer on all night long and it didnt even cut off one time? This is really weird
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 11:10:35 AM

One more thing to check out. Are you using a multi power outlet strip? If so, unplug the power strip and plug the computer directly into the wall outlet and check performance.

I had one instance where the computer would randomly restart, and it was traced to a faulty power outlet strip.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 8:41:56 PM

I tried that and didnt work. Now someone was asking me if I transferred the motherboard with the processor and heatsink still in place on the motherboard which I did. Could doing this have messed something up with either the motherboard or processor?
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 10:29:25 PM

jdog32310 said:
I tried that and didnt work. Now someone was asking me if I transferred the motherboard with the processor and heatsink still in place on the motherboard which I did. Could doing this have messed something up with either the motherboard or processor?

No, not at all! In fact, that is the proper way to install it in a new case.
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 12:34:42 AM

I just dont quite understand what is wrong. Earlier this evening I tried to start it and It wouldnt start and I havent done anything to it and I just tried it a few minutes ago and it started and stayed on and hasnt cut off yet.
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 12:49:50 PM

jdog32310 said:
I just dont quite understand what is wrong. Earlier this evening I tried to start it and It wouldnt start and I havent done anything to it and I just tried it a few minutes ago and it started and stayed on and hasnt cut off yet.

It's time to look at the integrity of the motherboard!
m
0
l
!