Sionel

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hello,
I am wondering about weather or not it would make more sense to run my rocketfish 120mm case fan on a 3 pin mobo spot than the 4 pin spot. Reason for asking this is because I have never been able to get it to run at full capacity (1200 rpm) not even under stress tests with levels reaching 80 degrees celsius. I have read somewhere that the 4th pin is for speed control and that running it in a 3 pin connection would cause it to run at max capacity at all times. Does anyone know if this is true and if so would it make sense to do that to at least get my monies worth out of the fan till I get a better one?

Solution
Use your ASUS AI Suite II and go to Tool, then Fan Xpert. You can move the curve around. Also go to your BIOS and set the mimimum threshold to 400 for your fans. I had to do that on mine to avoid the CPU fan error during POST. Sorry, I forget how to get there in the BIOS but I know its in there somewhere in Advanced.

lefty3

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
That is normally true, but if you have it on the 4 pin plugin, then you should be able to go into the bios settings and manually adjust the fan speed. Also, if you have an AMD system, you should be able to download AMD cool n quite software and control fan speeds that way.

Sionel

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I'm using a Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard with an Intel I7 2600K Processor i've looked at all the settings in the OC'ing BIOS and for some reason the fan which is considered CPUfan OPT doesn't show up to change the speed I can change the sensor to ignore it cause when I boot up it starts off running at like 400 rpm's and my system says its not running properly >< Do you know what exactly I need to find to change that?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Use your ASUS AI Suite II and go to Tool, then Fan Xpert. You can move the curve around. Also go to your BIOS and set the mimimum threshold to 400 for your fans. I had to do that on mine to avoid the CPU fan error during POST. Sorry, I forget how to get there in the BIOS but I know its in there somewhere in Advanced.

Solution