PSP games already available as downloads???

I got a mssg from a friend of a friend (you know how it goes ) stating
that there already are downloadable games (read: COPIED / hacked
originals) availbale for the PSP. The release of MGS has been
confirmed. In order to play this its something like put it on the
memory card and play it from there.

If this is true (which I have NO doubts about as i have seen the files
floating around on the servers; just havent been able to test as i
dont own nor will i ever own a PSP) then this might be one of the
fastest system game hacks EVER considering that the PSP has just been
released.

So much for security.
14 answers Last reply
More about games downloads

    What is the GC hack? I don't see why but I still don't understand how
    someone could hack their mini dvd or whatever the heck it is.

    "Sir Smokalot" <SmokeThaSpliff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I got a mssg from a friend of a friend (you know how it goes ) stating
    > that there already are downloadable games (read: COPIED / hacked
    > originals) availbale for the PSP. The release of MGS has been
    > confirmed. In order to play this its something like put it on the
    > memory card and play it from there.

    How many pirates are going to pay $170 for a 1GB memory stick in order to
    put a pirated game on it? Hmmm. Maybe it is a clever ploy by Sony to
    bankrupt pirates...

    > If this is true (which I have NO doubts about as i have seen the files
    > floating around on the servers; just havent been able to test as i
    > dont own nor will i ever own a PSP) then this might be one of the
    > fastest system game hacks EVER considering that the PSP has just been
    > released.

    It was just released in the US, sure, but it has been out in Japan since
    last fall.

    > So much for security.

    Still seems pretty secure to me since games use UMDs, not DVDs or CDs which
    everyone can copy and burn these days.

    "Sir Smokalot" <SmokeThaSpliff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I got a mssg from a friend of a friend (you know how it goes ) stating
    > that there already are downloadable games (read: COPIED / hacked
    > originals) availbale for the PSP. The release of MGS has been
    > confirmed. In order to play this its something like put it on the
    > memory card and play it from there.
    >
    > If this is true (which I have NO doubts about as i have seen the files
    > floating around on the servers; just havent been able to test as i
    > dont own nor will i ever own a PSP) then this might be one of the
    > fastest system game hacks EVER considering that the PSP has just been
    > released.
    >
    > So much for security.

    Well just because it looks like there are game files floating around the
    net, does not mean they are game files or that the PSP has been hacked.
    There are many fake files out there for anything, many renamed just to piss
    people off, many contain virus or trojans.
    Where has MGS been confirmed to be leaked onto the net and playable? I have
    not seen it on any of the news sites.
    Even if it has happened, which I hope it has not, it would not be worth it
    for anyone. Memory cards cost more than the games themselves so unless a
    pikey wants to keep swapping the games over the pc they are going to need
    lots of memory cards.

    "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > Even if it has happened, which I hope it has not, it would not be worth it
    > for anyone. Memory cards cost more than the games themselves so unless a
    > pikey wants to keep swapping the games over the pc they are going to need
    > lots of memory cards.

    They'll just swap the games like they've done for years on the GBx, etc.
    The difference here would be that there is no obscure hardware to buy from
    HK, etc.

    Personally, I hope this report isn't true, but there's little doubt it will
    eventually happen. It happens to everything, even the GC eventually got
    hacked.

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote

    > How many pirates are going to pay $170 for a 1GB memory stick in order to
    > put a pirated game on it? Hmmm. Maybe it is a clever ploy by Sony to
    > bankrupt pirates...

    How many pirates bought 300+ dollar CD burners to pirate PSX games? 500+
    dollar DVD burners to pirate movies, etc?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    > "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote
    >
    > > How many pirates are going to pay $170 for a 1GB memory stick in order
    > > put a pirated game on it? Hmmm. Maybe it is a clever ploy by Sony to
    > > bankrupt pirates...
    >
    > How many pirates bought 300+ dollar CD burners to pirate PSX games? 500+
    > dollar DVD burners to pirate movies, etc?

    Yes, but that wasn't the cost of the game media itself. A one-time
    $300-$500 investment in a burner allowed the pirates to make multiple copies
    of games on $1-$2 CD's or DVD's which they could then sell at a profit. I'm
    talking about spending $170 on a 1GB memory stick for EVERY game. Sure,
    people can store game code on their computer's hard drive and move different
    games back and forth to a single memory stick, but that still seems like a
    lot of effort and a lot more money than paying $5 for an illegal copy on a
    DVD which you can keep forever.

    No system will ever be hacker-proof, of course, but the harder and more
    expensive it is to copy games, the less piracy we'll see. Until someone
    creates a UMD burner, PSP piracy is likely to be minor. Emulators of other
    systems, on the other hand, ought to proliferate. If I can store an Atari
    2600 emulator and 400 ROMs on a single floppy disk, I imagine that it won't
    be difficult to store the same on a memory stick.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote

    >> > How many pirates are going to pay $170 for a 1GB memory stick in order
    >> > put a pirated game on it? Hmmm. Maybe it is a clever ploy by Sony to
    >> > bankrupt pirates...
    >>
    >> How many pirates bought 300+ dollar CD burners to pirate PSX games? 500+
    >> dollar DVD burners to pirate movies, etc?
    >
    > Yes, but that wasn't the cost of the game media itself. A one-time
    > $300-$500 investment in a burner allowed the pirates to make multiple
    > copies
    > of games on $1-$2 CD's or DVD's which they could then sell at a profit.
    > I'm
    > talking about spending $170 on a 1GB memory stick for EVERY game.

    Ah, peanut! I see what you're talking about. The pirates that are actually
    selling the games, not just people that are downloading the games and
    copying them personally. I understand your point now.

    But, since it is just a memory stick, most people will already have it, no?
    And it's just the matter of D/Ling it off of IRC or something, so the
    traditional pirates selling games could just put the games on a DVD, or
    something, really? Then the users just copy it to their memory sticks on
    hand.

    > Sure,
    > people can store game code on their computer's hard drive and move
    > different
    > games back and forth to a single memory stick, but that still seems like a
    > lot of effort and a lot more money than paying $5 for an illegal copy on a
    > DVD which you can keep forever.

    The pirates could put them on DVDs, though.

    > No system will ever be hacker-proof, of course, but the harder and more
    > expensive it is to copy games, the less piracy we'll see.

    But, in this case, it's probably the cheapest handheld to hack so far. The
    GBA, etc, required custom hardware, the PSP only a stick. As far as hard,
    this is one of the easiest to do. Plug your stick in a PC and bang.

    > Until someone creates a UMD burner, PSP piracy is likely to be minor.

    I seriously doubt that will be the factor. D/Ling them and putting it on a
    memory stick you can buy at a store is going to make it rampant.

    > Emulators of other
    > systems, on the other hand, ought to proliferate. If I can store an Atari
    > 2600 emulator and 400 ROMs on a single floppy disk, I imagine that it
    > won't
    > be difficult to store the same on a memory stick.

    I think it's going to be more of the hacking the PSP to play anything off
    the memory stick that will be the hurdle. Once that's done, it'll run
    rampant. D/Ling off IRC, and all. And the psychological aspect to it is
    huge. "Oh, I'm not paying fifty for a portable game! That's the man
    ripping me off!"

    Personally, if it isn't worth your money to buy it (or wait for the price to
    come down, etc) then you are saying it isn't worth playing.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    They used the broadband adapter to stream the game to the console I think.

    G.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Android wrote:
    <snip>
    > I'm talking about spending $170 on a 1GB memory stick for
    > EVERY game. Sure, people can store game code on their computer's
    > hard drive and move different games back and forth to a single
    memory
    > stick, but that still seems like a lot of effort and a lot more
    money
    > than paying $5 for an illegal copy on a DVD which you can keep
    > forever.
    <snip>

    Eh. People do it for the Gameboy. The little flash cards that pirates
    use cost around $100 and only holds a few games. They have to redo it
    every time they get a new game.

    I mean, they'll just download a game, play it, beat it, then download
    another. I doubt they pirate because they want to collect every game
    on earth. Just play the newest ones for free until they get tired of
    them.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    <snip>

    > What is the GC hack? I don't see why but I still don't understand how
    > someone could hack their mini dvd or whatever the heck it is.

    Its quite easy: u mod it with a viper chip and download the games from
    the web. Then you either burn the games on mini dvd-r (1.4GB discs,
    8cm) OR (the way i do it), you play the games without the top cover.
    In that way the GC 'likes' regular dvdr's too.

    Furthermore, theres new cases available as of this week. Check
    http://www.gamecubecase.com/ for availability.

    Smoke
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > <snip>
    >
    > > What is the GC hack? I don't see why but I still don't understand how
    > > someone could hack their mini dvd or whatever the heck it is.
    >
    > Its quite easy: u mod it with a viper chip and download the games from
    > the web. Then you either burn the games on mini dvd-r (1.4GB discs,
    > 8cm) OR (the way i do it), you play the games without the top cover.
    > In that way the GC 'likes' regular dvdr's too.

    I thought the chip doesn't do any more than the PSO broadband adaptor
    hack(which require quite a bit of work) Do you speak from experience or just
    something you "heard"/"assumed"?:)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > > What is the GC hack? I don't see why but I still don't understand how
    > > > someone could hack their mini dvd or whatever the heck it is.
    > >
    > > Its quite easy: u mod it with a viper chip and download the games from
    > > the web. Then you either burn the games on mini dvd-r (1.4GB discs,
    > > 8cm) OR (the way i do it), you play the games without the top cover.
    > > In that way the GC 'likes' regular dvdr's too.
    >
    > I thought the chip doesn't do any more than the PSO broadband adaptor
    > hack(which require quite a bit of work) Do you speak from experience or just
    > something you "heard"/"assumed"?:)

    This is 1st hand experience. I have a modded GC; Viper chip and Cobra 1.0 bios.

    Smoke
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote

    >>> How many pirates bought 300+ dollar CD burners to pirate PSX games?
    >>> 500+
    >>> dollar DVD burners to pirate movies, etc?
    >>
    >> Yes, but that wasn't the cost of the game media itself. A one-time
    >> $300-$500 investment in a burner allowed the pirates to make multiple
    >> copies
    >> of games on $1-$2 CD's or DVD's which they could then sell at a profit.
    >> I'm
    >> talking about spending $170 on a 1GB memory stick for EVERY game.
    >
    > Ah, peanut! I see what you're talking about. The pirates that are
    > actually selling the games, not just people that are downloading the games
    > and copying them personally. I understand your point now.
    >
    > But, since it is just a memory stick, most people will already have it,
    > no? And it's just the matter of D/Ling it off of IRC or something, so the
    > traditional pirates selling games could just put the games on a DVD, or
    > something, really? Then the users just copy it to their memory sticks on
    > hand.

    In that case, I would go more with Android's theory that it is a leaked ploy
    by Sony to sell more high cap memory sticks. But then again, they would
    have been smart enough to know the demand and actually produce enough.

    > Personally, if it isn't worth your money to buy it (or wait for the price
    > to come down, etc) then you are saying it isn't worth playing.

    Well said.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > > > <snip>

    > > > Its quite easy: u mod it with a viper chip and download the games from
    > > > the web. Then you either burn the games on mini dvd-r (1.4GB discs,
    > > > 8cm) OR (the way i do it), you play the games without the top cover.
    > > > In that way the GC 'likes' regular dvdr's too.
    > >
    > > I thought the chip doesn't do any more than the PSO broadband adaptor
    > > hack(which require quite a bit of work) Do you speak from experience or
    just
    > > something you "heard"/"assumed"?:)
    >
    > This is 1st hand experience. I have a modded GC; Viper chip and Cobra 1.0
    bios.

    I see. I thought the chip is only good for homebrew stuf though since it's
    like the PSO hack which is rather bad. Some games would run or with some
    problem whatever.

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Video Games