theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hey guys i think i have made a mistake and im worried. Yesterday i ordered a GTX 560 from EVGA and i got it superclocked. I called Dell and EVGA tech support and they said i can handle the card. But then i heard about this OEM version of the card. Am i not going to be able to run it because it isnt an OEM?What does OEM mean? PLease help soon the card is coming tommorow and i need to know???

Solution
You should be okay with that PSU, though you may be pushing it a bit hard, the Dell power supplies do tend to be able to deliver what they promise. There should be no problem running the card. Dell would like you to buy the OEM upgrade, but they haven't done anything to their motherboards to prevent you from using a card from any other vendor.
OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. What they are probably talking about when referring to an OEM card is a video card that Dell sells to you as an upgrade for your computer. You should be able to use any card, whether Dell sells it to you or not, but you have to make sure the power supply can handle it. OEM PSUs tend not to have much headroom for upgrades. Could you open up your case and post information about your Power Supply? Particularly how many amps on on the +12V rail, it should be on a sticker attached to the side of the Power Supply. You may have to upgrade your Power Supply to use a GTX 560.

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I have been through the whole PSU thing with dell and evga and people here on toms hardware and on eggxpert. the two responses i have gotten are i either should be fine or i am pushing it. So here is what i know on the side of the PSU. I have 18 amps on the first 12v rail 16 on the next one and 8 on the next one. the evga guy said that i should be fine with this but my 460 watt PSU may cause some games to lag when the GPU needs more power. people keep telling me to upgrade to a 600w. i have tried this in the past and was not succesful with my xps 8300. I am not upgrading the PSU i would rather wait 6 months and buy a new PC alltogether with new gen GPU's. In my system i have i7 2600 8g of ram 1 hard drive 2 optical drive and 1 amd GPU eats up about 80 watts to 100 underload. I think im good on the amps and the wattage is what concerns me. I have only 3 case fans plus the stock fan that came with i7. Not sure what else to do but pop it in and try it myslef. hopefully it works and i see an improvement. But OEM seems underclocked and downgraded for the GTX 560 so i went with the EVGA 560 as oppesed to paying dell for the OEM 560. I think it should work based on advice i have been given what do you think?
GTX 560 requires 450w PSU and 24 AMPS ON 12V
i have 460w PSU with 18 16 and 8 amps on 12v combined value of probably around 30 AMPS i think maybe 34.

You should be okay with that PSU, though you may be pushing it a bit hard, the Dell power supplies do tend to be able to deliver what they promise. There should be no problem running the card. Dell would like you to buy the OEM upgrade, but they haven't done anything to their motherboards to prevent you from using a card from any other vendor.

Solution

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks for the second opinion exactly what i wanted to hear. you know they charge 250 for there downgraded model? whatevs ill pop it in tommorow and if it works i let you know and i close the post thank you.