PSU giving high pitch noise after shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxyjac

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hi, I just built a new computer using these parts:

cpu: i5-2500k
mobo: ASRock z68 Pro3-M
PSU: CX 500 (corsair)
HDD: Segrate 250 GB
dvd: samsung
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 Kit

I can boot fine, installed window xp fine; but when I shut down the computer, the PSU is making some sort of high pitch noise. (note: when I was testing out components, the PSU does that noise as soon as I turn on the switch at the back of PSU, so I know it's not casing.)

The fan on the PSU is not moving, nor does it seems like it's eating power, it just gives this noise continously. If I turn off the switch at the back of PSU, it stops; or if I remove the power cord connecting to the PSU, it stops as well.

I have also tried checking the PSU using the "shorting green with any black wire" method, it does not make that noise and the fan starts as soon as switch is turned on.

Not sure if it's making that noise while computer is on since the noise is not loud and the fan might have covered it.

Is this normal? Do I need to replace my PSU?

Thanks in advanced.

[edit] Actually, I just tested it. The PSU is still also making the high pitch noise while the computer is on. So, as soon as power are going into the PSU (doesn't need to be turned on), there is noises.

wxyjac

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Actually, I just checked again, now if I turn on the computer, the high pitch sound isn't there anymore (so sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not)

But if I shut down the computer, like everything goes to a "shut down" state, the noise will return.

It's like the PSU is trying to do something, but continue failing to do so, therefore creating the high pitch sound.

I can, turn off the switch at the back everytime I shut down a computer, but should I get a new one from the seller?

edit: the noise die down quite a while after I cut off power to the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.