Is Fuji Finepix S5500 best camera in price range for panor..

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 29, 2005 2:16:23 PM

I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The primary use will be to catch
panoramic landscape shots from vacations and occasion close ups of my kids
in sports action.

I'm drawn to the Fuji S5500 by its reputation and zoom. Is this the best
camera for my purpose and that price range?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:16:24 PM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:16:23 +0100, davout wrote:

> I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The primary use will be to catch
> panoramic landscape shots from vacations and occasion close ups of my kids
> in sports action.
>
> I'm drawn to the Fuji S5500 by its reputation and zoom. Is this the best
> camera for my purpose and that price range?

It's a very nice camera, but probably not the best for panoramic
landscape shots. Its 10x zoom is only equivalent to 37mm at its
widest. You can get Fuji's WL-FX9 wide angle conversion lens which
will get the camera down to 29mm, but that bumps the camera up into
a slightly higher price range. If you chose this camera because of
its relatively long 370mm zoom (which can also be extended to 555mm
with another Fuji lens adapter) to take closeups of your kids in
sports action, then yes, it probably can do an adequate job, but you
probably won't be able to get really good shots handholding it.
Look for support, whether from a convenient tree branch or tripod.

More convenient for landscapes would be one of several cameras
that have zooms that don't need a conversion lens to go as wide as
27mm or 28mm, such as the Olympus C-5060 or Canon's PowerShot 60 and
Powershot 70. One of Nikon's cameras also has a similarly wide zoom
but I don't recall the model number. These cameras won't have the
10x zoom of the Fuji though.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:43:21 PM

This is a great value. I decided not to purchase this camera for one
reason. I have decided that IS (image stabilization) is a mandatory
requirement. Unfortunately this is lacking on this camera. I also
would like a longer zoom.

davout wrote:

>I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The primary use will be to catch
>panoramic landscape shots from vacations and occasion close ups of my kids
>in sports action.
>
>I'm drawn to the Fuji S5500 by its reputation and zoom. Is this the best
>camera for my purpose and that price range?

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:04:37 PM

Is there another camera at the same or slightly higher price that has IS?

Also is the difference between 4M or 6M pixels relevant at this level?

> This is a great value. I decided not to purchase this camera for one
> reason. I have decided that IS (image stabilization) is a mandatory
> requirement. Unfortunately this is lacking on this camera. I also would
> like a longer zoom.
>
> davout wrote:
>
>>I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The primary use will be to
>>catch panoramic landscape shots from vacations and occasion close ups of
>>my kids in sports action.
>>
>>I'm drawn to the Fuji S5500 by its reputation and zoom. Is this the best
>>camera for my purpose and that price range?

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:24:25 AM

There are 2 cameras and I am considering them both. The Panasonic Lumic
DMC-FZ5 with a Leica lens is shipping now. It got great reviews from
all of the major reviewers except for PC Mag. The other is the just
announced Canon S2 and that will ship in June.

davout wrote:

>Is there another camera at the same or slightly higher price that has IS?
>
>Also is the difference between 4M or 6M pixels relevant at this level?

>>This is a great value. I decided not to purchase this camera for one
>>reason. I have decided that IS (image stabilization) is a mandatory
>>requirement. Unfortunately this is lacking on this camera. I also would
>>like a longer zoom.
>>
>>davout wrote:
>>

>>>I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The primary use will be to
>>>catch panoramic landscape shots from vacations and occasion close ups of
>>>my kids in sports action.
>>>
>>>I'm drawn to the Fuji S5500 by its reputation and zoom. Is this the best
>>>camera for my purpose and that price range?

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:03:26 PM

In article <o7a471tj7725htfki1of4snsk2kmiberej@4ax.com>,
ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:16:23 +0100, davout wrote:
>
> > I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The primary use will be to
> > catch
> > panoramic landscape shots from vacations and occasion close ups of my kids
> > in sports action.
> >
> > I'm drawn to the Fuji S5500 by its reputation and zoom. Is this the best
> > camera for my purpose and that price range?
>
> It's a very nice camera, but probably not the best for panoramic
> landscape shots. Its 10x zoom is only equivalent to 37mm at its
> widest. You can get Fuji's WL-FX9 wide angle conversion lens which
> will get the camera down to 29mm, but that bumps the camera up into
> a slightly higher price range. If you chose this camera because of
> its relatively long 370mm zoom (which can also be extended to 555mm
> with another Fuji lens adapter) to take closeups of your kids in
> sports action, then yes, it probably can do an adequate job, but you
> probably won't be able to get really good shots handholding it.
> Look for support, whether from a convenient tree branch or tripod.
>
> More convenient for landscapes would be one of several cameras
> that have zooms that don't need a conversion lens to go as wide as
> 27mm or 28mm, such as the Olympus C-5060 or Canon's PowerShot 60 and
> Powershot 70. One of Nikon's cameras also has a similarly wide zoom
> but I don't recall the model number. These cameras won't have the
> 10x zoom of the Fuji though.

The Panasonic FZ5 may be another to consider a 12x zoom and image
stabilization. Remember you can always stitch digital photos together.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:46:20 AM

"davout" <davoutXXXYYYWWWZZZ@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The primary use will be to
catch
> panoramic landscape shots from vacations and occasion close ups of my kids
> in sports action.
>
> I'm drawn to the Fuji S5500 by its reputation and zoom. Is this the best
> camera for my purpose and that price range?

I once had a Fuji S5000 (I don't know the S5500,
but i know it is a little beter then the old S5000) but after 4moths i
upgraded to
Fuji S7000 because i wanted :

Hotshoe for external blitz.
Mount for mekanical cable release.
15 sec shutter (vs 2 sec on S5000)
More pixels
Histogram
Better EVF
Super Macro ! (you can focus on a fly sitting on the lense!)
Can use xD or CF cards
+ +

There is a big chance that you will like digital photo'ing
....and as you progress you soon will miss thees feautures.

.....So .... If i was you i know what i would do :-) !

reg
AP
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:46:21 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:46:20 -0700, A.P. wrote:

> I once had a Fuji S5000 (I don't know the S5500,
> but i know it is a little beter then the old S5000) but after 4moths i
> upgraded to
> Fuji S7000 because i wanted :
>
> Hotshoe for external blitz.
> Mount for mekanical cable release.
> 15 sec shutter (vs 2 sec on S5000)
> More pixels
> Histogram

The S5100/S5500 has histograms, but only on playback. It also can
go to 15 seconds, but only in manual mode.

> Better EVF
> Super Macro ! (you can focus on a fly sitting on the lense!)

Not an advantage if the fly is sitting on something else. :)

> Can use xD or CF cards

The review I read only mentioned CF cards. Can the S7000 copy
pictures from one card to the other? That would be a nice feature.

Two other differences are the S5100/S5500's greater 10x zoom range
and (I may be mistaken here) the S7000 lacks an AF lamp?

> Ups ! I forgot to mention someting important :
> The tripod mount on the FujiS5500 is not in line whit the
> photo axis! You may have to 'offset' a S5500 if you wana use
> a panorama-head in order to pan around the nodalpoint.
>
> (This can make a difference if your panos include both 'forground'
> and 'background' subjects. No a big deal if you stick to
> 'background-only' panos)

The offset is only 2 cm, less than an inch. How close would a
foreground object have to be for its image shift to be 1. noticeable
and 2. objectionable? And then, it probably wouldn't matter much
anyway unless the foreground object was included in the "stitch".
Note also that even at the widest zoom, the offset error about the
lens axis wouldn't be the full 2 cm. as each successive shot
wouldn't require the camera to be rotated 90 degrees. More like 40.
Does the S7000's EVF/display show 100% of the image? Very few
non-pro cameras do, but the S5100/S5500 does, which makes if much
easier to avoid including foreground objects along the stitch line.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:58:19 AM

Ups ! I forgot to mention someting important :
The tripod mount on the FujiS5500 is not in line whit the
photo axis! You may have to 'offset' a S5500 if you wana use
a panorama-head in order to pan around the nodalpoint.

(This can make a difference if your panos include both 'forground'
and 'background' subjects. No a big deal if you stick to
'background-only' panos)

(On a FujiS7000 the tripod-mount is in line whit the photo-axis)

AP
!