Your question

AMD FX-8120 Bulldozer Question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bulldozer
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2012 12:17:14 AM

Hello Gents! So I've had the FX-8120 in my build ever since well... it was built. There's a few questions I have to ask of you fine people.

A) What is the safest speed I can OC this puppy to with the stock cooler.

B) If I were to purchase the corsair H60 liquid cooling system, how high would I be able to OC it?

More about : amd 8120 bulldozer question

a c 173 à CPUs
March 5, 2012 4:38:56 AM

It depends. :) 

The highest speed will depend on the load temps at whatever voltage you are using. Obviously, the Corsair should work better than the stock cooler.

There is simply no way to give you any kind of estimate because there are too many variables. Some CPU's operate at higher voltages than others of the same type. Higher voltages = more heat.

The case matters. Some have better cooling capacity than others. Construction technique, primarily cable management matters.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 5, 2012 4:42:58 AM

I would save money and get a hyper 212+, it would outperform the H60.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2012 4:51:11 AM

How wide is your case. If you could fit this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., it would offer better cooling for cheaper. It a little under 6.5 inches tall, your case would need to be 6.7 inches thick to fit it. Also you'll not fit four sticks of ram only two since it covers 2 slots.
m
l
March 5, 2012 4:51:29 AM

My case is an NZXT Lexa S crafted series. I was also wondering if an h60 would even fit in there. It was my first build and the wires are kinda uh.. yknow.. cluttered and bundled and what not.
m
l
March 5, 2012 4:53:32 AM

amuffin said:
I would save money and get a hyper 212+, it would outperform the H60.

The h60 outperforms the 212 but not by much. The 212 definetly has the bang for buck crown, but if he wants to spend more money then the Frio is a better choice.
m
l
March 5, 2012 4:56:16 AM

Agent Brooks said:
My case is an NZXT Lexa S crafted series. I was also wondering if an h60 would even fit in there. It was my first build and the wires are kinda uh.. yknow.. cluttered and bundled and what not.

The h60 will, but its a rip off from a price/performance ratio. The Thermaltake frio is definitively a better option from a price point of view and performance but it won't fit. So I would suggest the hyper 212
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:09:55 PM

i had a bit of clutter issue today when i went inside my case to see what the deal was. i did my best to clear up as much space as i could. there are no wires whatsoever crossing the motherboard now.. would a hyper 212 fit in the lexa s? i have 2 sticks of ram in the MB at this moment there is one in the slot one away from the cpu/cpu cooler. (I really appreciate all the help by the way!)
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:51:34 PM

Agent Brooks said:
i had a bit of clutter issue today when i went inside my case to see what the deal was. i did my best to clear up as much space as i could. there are no wires whatsoever crossing the motherboard now.. would a hyper 212 fit in the lexa s? i have 2 sticks of ram in the MB at this moment there is one in the slot one away from the cpu/cpu cooler. (I really appreciate all the help by the way!)

Yes it would, to bad you can't fit the Frio. Make sure you can find a FX overclocking guide so you know what your doing. Also ensure your case has its side fan blowing to your motherboard. When doing high overclocks you need to ensure it doesn't overheat just like the cpu.
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:59:47 PM

Phyrexiancure said:
Yes it would, to bad you can't fit the Frio. Make sure you can find a FX overclocking guide so you know what your doing. Also ensure your case has its side fan blowing to your motherboard. When doing high overclocks you need to ensure it doesn't overheat just like the cpu.

by that you mean i should make sure my side fan is an intake, yeah? One last thing. My motherboard is an ASUS M5A97, and to the left of the cpu are these blue heat sinks. I'm not entirely sure how the hyper 212 works, but will those interfere?
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:01:35 PM

Yes as an intake. These heatsinks won't block you from mounting the 212.
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:25:06 PM

i decided to get off my lazy ass and actually take some measurements. i think the cooler is just a hair too high :( 

is there anyway you know for sure that the cooler will fit in a lexa s?
m
l
March 6, 2012 7:08:16 PM

which is better for over clocking?
m
l