Sign in with
Your question

GA-970A-D3 won't boot from secondary SSD

Last response: in Motherboards
January 9, 2013 3:47:54 PM

Hi

For a long time I was booting off of an old Seagate Barracuda 7200 (250GB, 3Gbps SATA) and upgraded to an SSD (Intel 520 Series 120GB). I wasn't able to clone the Barracuda, so I did a fresh install on the SSD and was content running a lean, crisp OS, booting into the Barracuda only when I wanted to use a specific piece of software on it. I would be given the choice of the two versions of Windows 7 available after the post to boot into.

I was doing a build for someone and it needed another SATA2 cable, so I swapped a cable out of my PC and replaced it with a SATA3 cable that came with their motherboard. For good measure, I swapped out the SSD's cable with an identical one. I MAY have also switched the ports (Barracuda in port 0; SSD in port 1).

Following that I lost the dual boot option, and the BIOS seems to want to boot from the Barracuda alone. The BIOS reports that the disks are still in those original ports regardless of where I plug them in. Also, I have the SSD set to a higher boot priority in the BIOS, and the SSD is recognized in Windows. If I remove the Barracuda and leave the SSD in any of the ports, I get a "failure to find bootable device" type error on startup.

I am running BIOS ver F11. Also, for whatever reason, my USB 3.0 keyboard no longer works in BIOS for some reason.

SPECS

AMD FX-4170 Quad-Core @ 4.2Ghz
Gigabyte 970A-D3
4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9
Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB SATA2 / Intel 520 Series 120GB
ATI Radeon HD 6770
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W

Love the forum, you guys are all amazing :) 
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 5:19:12 PM

You can clone the barracuda with "maxblast 5.0" a large file that's a free download. After downloading: http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/con..., install on your Barracuda hardrive. Reboot and install the ssd while windows is running in achi mode; not running in achi mode, then follow these instructions to change your windows install from ide to achi :
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?.... After following the previous instructions, you can change your bios setting to achi and reboot. If you are running windows 7 pro or ultimate, then you should be able to connect the ssd while windows is running. Windows will configure it as a secondary drive. Then run maxblast and use the clone option. After the procedure is finished, the software will instruct you to shutdown your system. Then disconnect the Barracuda and reboot with the ssd only. Then while windows is running, you may connect the barracuda and windows will configure it as a secondary drive. Also be aware that while cloning, the maxblast will have to delete all partitions on the ssd for the cloning procedure, so you will lose all your files on the ssd.
!