Sign in with
Your question

Why 16x-4x rather than 16x-16x in crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2011 4:56:55 AM

i just got done building a gaming rig, and noticed my second graffics card is running 4x. its an asus sabertooth 990fx, and i'm running radeon 6770's in crossfire. ( 6770, i know, but i had one in my old computer and salvaged it and decided it was cheaper to buy another one and run xfire, rather than buy a higher end card) is there something i have to do in the bios to set it up as 16x. i am running the cards in slot 1 and 3, which are both 16x.

More about : 16x 16x 16x crossfire

October 5, 2011 1:19:15 PM

When you say you're running the cards in slot 1 and 3, do you mean PCI-Ex16 slots 1 and 3? or PCI-E slots 1 and 3? Based on the documentation when running in dual mode, the cards should be placed in the two white/beige PCI-Ex16 slots.

-Wolf sends
m
l
October 5, 2011 2:06:56 PM

Quote:
It makes no difference in real world gaming situations going from 16x to 4x slot at all.

I always thought that there was no difference in going from 16x to 8x. I have heard there is a considerable FPS drop when going from 16x to 4x - in the range of 15-20fps depending on the cards. I could be wrong though.
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2011 2:23:58 PM

ah.. I stand corrected.

I wonder how much of a difference there will be going from pci-e 2.0 to 3.0, if any.
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:50:33 PM

if its not going to change my performance, then i'm not going to worry. i just thought it odd. i appreciate the help, and information. thanks!
m
l
October 6, 2011 2:32:07 AM

the main problem with a 16x/4x setup is that the slots are of uneven bandwidth causing more noticed stuttering. The card should run at 16x/16x in that board, its obviously not working properly so i suggest you look into why it isnt.
m
l
October 6, 2011 3:22:37 AM

so, apparently i'm a bit of a re re... when i said slot 1 and 3, it turns out its not the order in which the slots are top to bottom, and i was running the second card in the second pcie slot, now, they are running 16x 16x. on a side not, anyone have issues with windows 7 ultimate not running game properly? i cannot for the life of me get crysis to install, object~1.cab file not reading properly. i have check around on the forums, and it seems like alot of ppl have had the same issues... i was able to install crysis warhead just fine, but windows will force close it from time to time for no apparent reason.
m
l
October 6, 2011 3:50:49 AM

run the crysis installer as administrator and in xp SP3 compatability mode
m
l
October 6, 2011 5:09:50 AM

i tried that twice... :-\ it doesnt give me the 1311 error code, instead it just sits there and after awhile is says the installer isn't responding anymore. its kind of annoying, i had this same copy installed on my last pc, and build this one up so i can play it, now it won't even install...
m
l
October 6, 2011 6:00:13 AM

Just bought Crysis on steam for $3.50 (lol epic cheap) running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, have yet to run into any issues. On a side note, the original Crysis looks better, runs easier, and on less hardware than BF3. Dice really failed this time
m
l
!