Why 16x-4x rather than 16x-16x in crossfire

i just got done building a gaming rig, and noticed my second graffics card is running 4x. its an asus sabertooth 990fx, and i'm running radeon 6770's in crossfire. ( 6770, i know, but i had one in my old computer and salvaged it and decided it was cheaper to buy another one and run xfire, rather than buy a higher end card) is there something i have to do in the bios to set it up as 16x. i am running the cards in slot 1 and 3, which are both 16x.
9 answers Last reply
More about crossfire
  1. When you say you're running the cards in slot 1 and 3, do you mean PCI-Ex16 slots 1 and 3? or PCI-E slots 1 and 3? Based on the documentation when running in dual mode, the cards should be placed in the two white/beige PCI-Ex16 slots.

-Wolf sends
  2. Quote:
    It makes no difference in real world gaming situations going from 16x to 4x slot at all.

I always thought that there was no difference in going from 16x to 8x. I have heard there is a considerable FPS drop when going from 16x to 4x - in the range of 15-20fps depending on the cards. I could be wrong though.
  3. ah.. I stand corrected.

I wonder how much of a difference there will be going from pci-e 2.0 to 3.0, if any.
  4. if its not going to change my performance, then i'm not going to worry. i just thought it odd. i appreciate the help, and information. thanks!
  5. the main problem with a 16x/4x setup is that the slots are of uneven bandwidth causing more noticed stuttering. The card should run at 16x/16x in that board, its obviously not working properly so i suggest you look into why it isnt.
  6. so, apparently i'm a bit of a re re... when i said slot 1 and 3, it turns out its not the order in which the slots are top to bottom, and i was running the second card in the second pcie slot, now, they are running 16x 16x. on a side not, anyone have issues with windows 7 ultimate not running game properly? i cannot for the life of me get crysis to install, object~1.cab file not reading properly. i have check around on the forums, and it seems like alot of ppl have had the same issues... i was able to install crysis warhead just fine, but windows will force close it from time to time for no apparent reason.
  7. run the crysis installer as administrator and in xp SP3 compatability mode
  8. i tried that twice... :-\ it doesnt give me the 1311 error code, instead it just sits there and after awhile is says the installer isn't responding anymore. its kind of annoying, i had this same copy installed on my last pc, and build this one up so i can play it, now it won't even install...
  9. Just bought Crysis on steam for $3.50 (lol epic cheap) running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, have yet to run into any issues. On a side note, the original Crysis looks better, runs easier, and on less hardware than BF3. Dice really failed this time
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Crossfire Graphics