My new i7 build.... :( :( :(

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi guys.... I'm a college student and spent a little over 1k to build an i7 rig this past week. I got everything in today and set it up. This was my 2nd build.

All the parts used are in my sig. I booted up, made sure everything is connected to mobo, and all display is working properly.

I got into BIOS and immediately set boot priority to CD/ROM drive to boot Windows XP since I only have the Windows 7 upgrade CD so I needed to put some other windows on the Bare harddrive.

I uplugged the 500gb Westerdigital caviar green storage drive I have and ONLY let the OCZ agility 3 plugged in to boot windows.

I got to the windows XP loading screen and then got a blue screen:
DSC00446.jpg

I bought the i7 , gtx 570, ocz agility III, EVGA motherboard, and Patriot Xtreme RAM on black FRIDAY.

The Power supply, optical drive, and 500gb storage drive I'm re-using from another build.

What could this be? I was getting errors on my last computer, and I used the same power supply. I figure it can't be the optical drive nor 500gb western digital since that isn't even plugged in.

But I have heard of horrible reviews and with some SSDs and people having blue screens and errors trying to boot for the first time.

I dont know, I'm really bummed, I started building this computer today at 7:30PM and now it's 3:57AM, and I'm sad and delirious. Can anyone help me?

The computer is still on with that blue screen...should I just do a hard "power off" or maybe reset? manual shutdowns don't affect the physical components of the computer do they?

DSC00450-1-1.jpg

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Lol, i'M So sorry. The AMD components in my sig were my last build.

And I have to reply now and let you guys know with the help of google, I was able to overcome the issue.

I don't know why, but for some reason the BIOS must be set on IDE instead of ACHI and it worked.

Crossing my fingers nothign else goes wrong....

Should I leave it on IDE MODE when I go to install windows 7 over the XP? OR switch it back to achi?????

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Before you install windows you should change the bios settings and then do it but you can go into the registry after the fact and change from ide to ahci and then when you reboot go into bios and change it to ahci. You don't have to install in IDE but if it was in IDE mode when you installed then it won't work in AHCI unless you change the registry.

TRIM only works in ahci mode and your performance in ide mode is pretty bad so make sure you change it. Oh and I had the same issue on my first SSD too! My video card also died as I was installing windows so I would get half way through the install and my screen would artifact...ahhh memories.