Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard problems on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Last response: in Motherboards
January 9, 2013 6:40:14 PM

I've just completed my first computer build, and I have a problem. Every so often, my computer loses all keyboard input. It's very irregular and works most of the time, but when it happens, my keyboard's LEDs turn off, and it's as if the keyboard wasn't turned on.

I've tried many different keyboards, all known to be reliable, and they all have this problem only when connected to this computer. I've tried all the USB ports in the system, to no avail.

After some searching on Google, I found out that the problem is probably in my motherboard, a GA-Z77-D3H from Gigabyte. This is supported by my trial and error.

I've read the manual that came with my motherboard, and I didn't find anything relevant or helpful. I messed with the BIOS settings for "Legacy USB Support" and "Port 60/64 Emulation", with no affect.

I also tried installing Linux, but that didn't help any. Much to my dismay, Linux doesn't work well on my PC at all.

Additional details:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-3770
16 GB Corsair Vengeance
No discrete graphics, because I don't need anything better than Intel HD 4000

What I've tried:

Different keyboards, both USB and PS/2.
All USB ports, both 2.0 and 3.0, including the front panel connectors.
Motherboard settings as mentioned.
Motherboard BIOS update to version F18.

I've been working on this for a few days, and I'm getting nowhere fast.
January 9, 2013 7:08:54 PM

Have you downloaded and re-installed all the drivers for the mobo from Gigabyte's website?
m
l
January 9, 2013 7:16:07 PM

trapper said:
Have you downloaded and re-installed all the drivers for the mobo from Gigabyte's website?

I did, however, I used the USB 3.0 and LAN drivers off the CD. I believe I will update the USB 3 drivers.

Edit: Updated USB 3.0 drivers didn't help. I also asked a friend about this, and his advice is to RMA it.

I plan to proceed by continuing my investigation, and if I can find a fix, I'll do it. If I run out of time, I'm going to RMA it.
m
l
February 6, 2013 5:53:45 PM

Hi,

I have a similar issue in a newly built set-up with the same MoBo. In my situation, the keyboard stops working when I plug in a new USB device (whilst the PC is running).

I haven't explored much further and I haven't investigated whether this consistently occurs, however I have had a couple of instances of where thing stop working when a USB device is plugged in.

Did you plug anything in just before your keyboard stops working?
m
l
!