Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Grease and CPU Temps Question

Last response: in Components
March 5, 2012 4:30:27 AM

So I pretty much just finished building my first system and now I have a question about temps. I don't think they are bad but I was wondering if they should be better.

First off my system:
Asus Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard
AMD FX-8150 BE CPU (just mulitplier OC to 4.0gz leaving bus at 200)
16GB G. SKill Sniper Series 1866 Memory
Cooler Master GeminII S524Heatsink and Fan (attached to CPU using Artic Silver Ceramique 2 Thermal Grease)
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800w PSU
HIS IceQ X Turbo 6950 Video Card
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
All inside a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced (Blue Edition)

I'm currently running Prime95 while writing this post. Everything looks good thus far and I don't expect problems since stock max turbo is supposed to be 4.2ghz. Anyhow my temps max at 56°c while coming back down to 55°c pretty often.

I have never applied thermal grease before (except for the few screw ups I had while putting on this aftermarket cooler) and I used the grain of rice method. I put a pea-sized glob in the middle of the chip and then tried to put the cooler on as level as I could. The cooler did however wiggle a little from side to side while I was trying to secure the cooler to the CPU until I finally got some help from my brother who kept it still while I secured the GeminII heatsink fan. Keep in mind I used Artic Silver Ceramique 2 Thermal Grease.

So now considering all the info I just provided, is this a good max temp or should it be lower? Am I just being paranoid that I may have messed up while attempting to attach the heatsink fan. I'm sure my idle temps will be between 35°-36°c since that is what it started off at when I booted, but I ran Prime95 right off the bat. Is that good as well? My bottom line is do I need to yet again reapply my thermal paste or does it seem that I am running fine? Thanks for all your help in advance.
a c 186 à CPUs
March 5, 2012 4:32:20 AM

Arctic silver always takes a long time to cure. Wait a week and then you will see your temp drop.
m
l
March 5, 2012 4:35:11 AM

56 deg. is great on Air/Heatsink. Prime95 enables all cores to 100% usage. If 56 is you Max after an Hour of Prime95, then you are sittin pretty. Gratz on the first build, looks like you did just fine.
m
l
!