Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is Tessellation important???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 141 U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 11:17:25 AM

Tessellation is restricted to the rather limited number of DirectX 11 games that are out right now, it is an optional feature that gives a bit of extra eyecandy, it's not a requirement to play any game. Out of all the games that support DX11, none use tessellation as heavily as the extreme preset in Unigine. I think Crysis 2 with the DX11 patch is the one game that comes the closest, but even it doesn't have a tessellation load as heavy as the extreme benchmark.

AMD cards generally perform fine with tessellation enabled, though an AMD card's nvidia counterpart may get higher framerates, depending on how much tessellation is applied in the game. The 6970 will perform fine with tessellation under most circumstances, though it may struggle a bit with Crysis 2, depending on which settings you use, and what resolution you want to play at.
Score
October 5, 2011 11:22:35 AM

Supernova1138 said:
Tessellation is restricted to the rather limited number of DirectX 11 games that are out right now, it is an optional feature that gives a bit of extra eyecandy, it's not a requirement to play any game. Out of all the games that support DX11, none use tessellation as heavily as the extreme preset in Unigine. I think Crysis 2 with the DX11 patch is the one game that comes the closest, but even it doesn't have a tessellation load as heavy as the extreme benchmark.

AMD cards generally perform fine with tessellation enabled, though an AMD card's nvidia counterpart may get higher framerates, depending on how much tessellation is applied in the game. The 6970 will perform fine with tessellation under most circumstances, though it may struggle a bit with Crysis 2, depending on which settings you use, and what resolution you want to play at.

Thanks.
But overall is it worth it to buy 6970s over 570s?
I know they both have their advantages and yes 6970 is a bit more expensive.But I play at res 1920X1200.
So tessellation isnt really important?
Can i play alot of games on max with a 6970?
Score
Related resources
October 5, 2011 11:23:50 AM

And i want to CF 6970s them later down the road.
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 11:38:54 AM

Personally i favor 570's as well, Tessellation depends on how its done, Nvidia actually sent out "advice" to its pet hardware sites asking "explaining" that certain benchmarks should not be used when benching Nvidia GPU's because of how the tessellation was implemented gave an advantage to AMD GPU's.

Look it up so you know which ones it was and if its relevant to you. I cant off hand remember which it was myself.

Mactronix :) 
Score
October 5, 2011 11:40:24 AM

mactronix said:
Personally i favor 570's as well, Tessellation depends on how its done, Nvidia actually sent out "advice" to its pet hardware sites asking "explaining" that certain benchmarks should not be used when benching Nvidia GPU's because of how the tessellation was implemented gave an advantage to AMD GPU's.

Look it up so you know which ones it was and if its relevant to you. I cant off hand remember which it was myself.

Alright i will do some homework then.
Score

Best solution

a c 104 U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 11:47:54 AM

@ Mactronix ; Can it be because of the tessalation that a nvidea favoured game i played ( company of heroes ) on both nvidea and amd that it looked better on the nvidea but ran more smoothly on the AMD ? ( i know it's not nice to ask something on a thread from someone else but maybe it helps the op to )
October 5, 2011 11:52:22 AM

GreenDutchAlien said:
@ Mactronix ; Can it be because of the tessalation that a nvidea favoured game i played ( company of heroes ) on both nvidea and amd that it looked better on the nvidea but ran more smoothly on the AMD ? ( i know it's not nice to ask something on a thread from someone else but maybe it helps the op to )

So how smoove are we talking about?
But still i want some opinions and facts.
Is gtx500 series by Nvidia really better at Tessellation?
Score
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 12:07:31 PM

Just a little bit difference in smoothness. With nvidea this game has a little stutter but hardly noticeble, you'll have to play a lot to see the difference. But i choose the nvidea in spite of this because it really makes the game look better. I stated this before on an other thread and got burned for it, everybody telling me it's not possible but i know what i see and i really wouldn't choose the card with worse smoothness if it didn't look better. ( i'm only weird, not crazy :D  )
I have to say if i'm completely honest that with an other game ( Age of Empires III ) the AMD looked better so it's maybe according to wich game you play.
Probably a lot of people will say now again that it's not possible to see a difference in that way from different card makers but like i said ; i know what i see, so ; :kaola: 
Score
October 5, 2011 12:14:06 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Just a little bit difference in smoothness. With nvidea this game has a little stutter but hardly noticeble, you'll have to play a lot to see the difference. But i choose the nvidea in spite of this because it really makes the game look better. I stated this before on an other thread and got burned for it, everybody telling me it's not possible but i know what i see and i really wouldn't choose the card with worse smoothness if it didn't look better. ( i'm only weird, not crazy :D  )
I have to say if i'm completely honest that with an other game ( Age of Empires III ) the AMD looked better so it's maybe according to wich game you play.
Probably a lot of people will say now again that it's not possible to see a difference in that way from different card makers but like i said ; i know what i see, so ; :kaola: 

Even though your own answer is based on an opinion but at least it was interesting i will try to look at games which are run both by Nvidia and AMD for comparisons.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 12:20:43 PM

I say your are a hardcore NVIDIA fanboy and want to show that nvidia does better at Tessellation. Its a stooge :kaola:  . Tessellation is not the only advantage for a graphics card, both card has its strengths and weaknesses. Are you not concerned about power consumption, heat etc that's normally applicable for Nividia cards. Nvidia's driver also have its own problems and its not bugs free. If Nvidia's driver have no bugs at all then why they releases drivers on a monthly basis ?? :p 
Score
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 12:39:56 PM

spp85 said:
I say your are a hardcore NVIDIA fanboy and want to show that nvidia does better at Tessellation. Its a stooge :kaola:  . Tessellation is not the only advantage for a graphics card, both card has its strengths and weaknesses. Are you not concerned about power consumption, heat etc that's normally applicable for Nividia cards. Nvidia's driver also have its own problems and its not bugs free. If Nvidia's driver have no bugs at all then why they releases drivers on a monthly basis ?? :p 

Well, I say I'm NOT a nvidea fanboy, after having one year of constant frustration with a *#X*^ GTX 465 ( the card from Hell ) and struggeling for two weeks or so with the gigabyte 560ti soc ( driver related indeed ) i really was fed up with nvidea, hated them, swore never to buy one again and bought a 6870 alltough the 560 was still working so didn't really need a new one. I went back to the 560 because of what i stated before.
Why is it allways the Amd "boys" come with those accusations (?) and it's almost never heard from nvidea "boys" saying : "oh you must be a hardcore AMD boy". Imo it's childish and without knowing me or my prefferences a bit stupid to say.
If i was that hardcore nvidea freak i never would have said that with this other game AMD looked better i think ? It's all about reading . . .
Also ; why the bolded stuff, afraid i can't read it with my darn nvidea ? :D 
Score
October 5, 2011 1:15:12 PM

spp85 said:

I am a Nvidia fanboy.
And this is my question.I wanted to buy a 6970 which was on a great offer.
Score
October 5, 2011 1:22:14 PM

if you want a article on tessellation http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html explains it pretty well but in essence it basically says it is another way of drawing the picture in an attempt to have it look more real by making the picture into more pieces and then remapping the textures Metro 2033 was nVidia's example so i guess it uses that method of drawing alot more then others at the time which the article was written.
On that tessellation is not the most important thing which a graphics card has for that you would want a DX11, OpenGL 4.0, 4.1, with 1GB+ of RAM as tessellation is in both nVidia and AMD/ATI cards The listed 3 specs will affect your game play and tessellation will only affect how fine grain the picture is rendered which really unless you have it on 1920x1080 or above you will not see any difference in picture quality between any 2 cards above GeForce 400 series and ATI/AMD Readon 5000 Series. ATI/AMD takes a little bit longer to catch up on this technology in graphics cards as they are not as focused on tessellation as nVidia but more on the processing power and speed of the graphics ram while still implementing the latest version of DirectX, OpenGL, OpenCL, and etc. nVidia in consumer cards is more of trying to have the best designed processors but as they have less of them because of the size, more and faster graphics ram but usually on the same bandwidth as ATI/AMD and DirectX, OpenGL, OpenCL and etc. are usually the same version as the other companies who make video cards. In professional graphics cards nVidia tries to shove everything into their cards thus they have more RAM, process cores, the latest version of everything at the time of release, and etc. but cost alot more then the ATI/AMD equivalent which is just a minor step down but could be worth paying the little bit more if the programs demand the extra stuff to be there. if you want the best of the best buy a Quadro 6000 card as it is still the best of the best there is but it is overkill and not optimized for games for games buy 2 6970 in CrossfireX or 2 590 in SLI not very show which will scale up better though but these 2 cards will be better for gaming and cost alot less as they have less in them for static rendering but more for active rendering, static rendering is like when you are rendering a movie and active rendering is more of what you do in game play with only some of it being static rendering.

Conclusion: nVidia has better tessellation as of today but tessellation will not affect your game play at all only the picture which you see in which it is only noticeable with DirectX 11 games which support it even though it is used in every game which supports DirectX.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 2:06:13 PM

mactronix said:

This question has probably already been resolved, but I agree with Mactronix here.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 2:08:11 PM

spp85 said:

Sorry for DP.

All drivers have bugs, welcome to the fact that human beings develop these things. And the 5 series made the heat and power problems found in the 4 series utterly redundant. Yes AMD have them beat still on those fronts, but to put NV down about it as much as you have is hugely disingenuous and ignorant.
Score
October 5, 2011 2:08:51 PM

Griffolion said:
This question has probably already been resolved, but I agree with Mactronix here.

Not really.
Anymore suggestions would always be worth listening to.
Score
October 5, 2011 4:07:31 PM

HardOCP had a nice section in their Deus Ex:HR performance review about tessellation. It showed side-by-side screenshots illustrating the differences that tessellation makes when enabled. You should check it out.

In my opinion, it's not very noticeable when compared to something like anti-aliasing. It's possible that the technology might be used more in the future though.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 5, 2011 5:06:28 PM

spp85 said:
If Nvidia's driver have no bugs at all then why they releases drivers on a monthly basis ?? :p 

I think you'll find that it's Ati/AMD that have the monthly schedule, Nvidia chuck out drivers as and when they please.
Score
Anonymous
October 5, 2011 6:00:34 PM

spp85 said:

I have a EVGA GTX 580 1.5 and a EVGA GTX 580 sc 3 gb in SLI I never had problems with heat or problems with drivers and I owned my first one about 6 months ago. Stop raging on here they have a game for that now....
Score
October 13, 2011 1:16:28 AM

Best answer selected by ghnader hsmithot.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 13, 2011 4:08:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!