Cooling System Mod for a normal Cabinet

viknesh2020

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
hi,

I have Intex Signature cabinet for my i3 2100, with two HDDs producing more heat. this is my cabinet

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=intex+signature&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=673&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=_KKjsx3aovvhMM:&imgrefurl=http://www.comconindia.in/assesories/desktop-accessories/cabinet/intex-signature.html&docid=m8Z4vsA8WIR6wM&imgurl=http://www.comconindia.in/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/n/index_signature.jpg&w=600&h=600&ei=R5dUT7CcDcTLrQfVtNStAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=214&vpy=143&dur=776&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=89&ty=111&sig=105394347024198776131&page=1&tbnh=157&tbnw=217&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

I've planned to fix 4 case fans additionally for reducing heat. Already one vent in the sside panel i'l fix a fan there, and a GPU vent also there, i'l fix a mod with two case fans to cool GPU. Is this possible? My PSU is only capable of giving 450W. Also i planned to fix a fan above HDs and that fan's outlet air have to be taken out by a polythene cover hose. Is this possible to mod like this to cool my system? Any ideas plz guys... :)

Fans are low power so no worries there.

If you have no fans at the moment, then one at the front (intake), one at the back/top (output) would be a good starting place. The PSU can act as the one at the top/back if you have no space there.

What is the rest of your system, it doesn't sound like a very hot system.

If you want to fit fans on the side, then they should be inputs, don't worry if you have a lot more inputs than outputs, thats normal and in a dusty environment its good.

start off with 1-2 fans and then add more later (buy them all to save shipping costs if you want).

viknesh2020

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

Normally my room temperature wil be around 35 to 43 Deg Celsius maximum, so i'm afraid of the components getting affected by excess heat. Also 'm addicted to games, i used to run the system continously for 4 or 5 hours, that's why looking for a better cooling system mod.

You mentioned the side fans as inputs here, i cant understand what is input and output in the case fan system, can you explain?

with the fan rotating the fan will pull air from one side and push it to the other, if you turn it round then it works the other way.

So you to make sure that the side vents are pulling air from the outside to the inside of the case and not the other way around. You can easily feel which way the air is flowing when the fan is working. If you get it wrong you will starve the gpu and cpu fans of air increasing their temp.

some fans have arrows on them indicating rotation direction and airflow.

viknesh2020

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

really usefull information, thanks. till this i came to know the CPU needs a balanced airflow, one intake fan and one for outflow, is this right?

you do need outflow (but the PSU outflows) You'll never be completely balanced though, having positive pressure has some benefits, your fans always have lots of air to work with, and the positive pressure stops air being sucked in through gaps in the case that are not filtered, hence keeping the case emptier of dust and such, which improves cooling.

viknesh2020

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

ok.. as u said before, number of inputs can be higher than outputs, so totally now 'm going to connect three fans at the side for input, one fan for eliminating heat from HDDs, or you suggest me any idea where i can place the fans..

viknesh2020

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

my cabinet is in the link,

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=i [...] 29,r:0,s:0

in that, oly side panel's vents are free, in which i've planned to fix three fans and another fan has to be placed near HDD and the output has to be taken from this fan through a polythene hose to outside of the case

My HDDs are not raptors, but still i couldn't near my hands towards HDDs because of much heat

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I have to correct my previous statement slightly . If you have strong enough fans in the standard front in rear out your fine . however , because of weak fans , obstructions ie. hdd rack , or overall case clutter you cant get good flow between the front and back . So in that situation the addition of a side fan will give you the best temp drops to the cpu / gpu etc

TRENDING THREADS