Upgrading Motherboard - Help

EggyDevil

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
Hello,
My pc currently has a BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 MiATX Motherboard and I would like to upgrade it to a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 or gigabyte z77x d3h motherboard so that I can crossfire two VTX HD 6870 radeons. I have a i7-2600k processer (1155 stock) and need to know if i need to reinstall windows 7 and all of my programs when/if i do upgrade my motherboard and keep the processor,gpu and hard drives.

Thanks a lot,
Eggy

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If you have a Retail version of windows, you may be able to get away with deleting all your drivers before the swap and running a repair once the new board is in.

If it were me I would want a fresh install anyway.

Newf.

Normally, you will have no problem.

Windows should boot with reduced function.

Then install the drivers that come on the cd with your new motherboard.
In particular, you will need the lan drivers to be able to access the internet.

Later, you can update to the latest graphics and chipset drivers from the internet.
The space taken by the old drivers is trivial, no need to uninstall them.

You will need to reactivate windows.
If your OC is upgrade or retail, reactivation should be trouble free.

If your os is oem, you may have to talk with microsoft about it. They are usually lenient, but OEM does legally have a single motherboard restriction.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
If you're going to keep the storage drive that has your OS, you won't need to reinstall widows. I'm not knowledgeable about the intricacies of doing so, though, better wait for another feedback

EggyDevil

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013

I think I have a OEM version, if i were to change my motherboard what would happen when i start it up, would it turn into a 30-day trail thing? would i be able to still access my computer?

thanks

Vectorous

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Usually you will have problems booting into Windows once you have changed your motherboard. Yes, you will have to re-activate if you manage to get into Windows.

On perhaps 4 occasions, I have successfully converted a motherboard by simply booting from windows 7 and installing the cd drivers.
That includes changing the chipset type and cpu. Your odds of success there are great.
Earlier versions of windows might not have been so easy.

As to being able to reactivate your oem license, I think your odds are good.
You will get 3 days to reactivate.
You will probably need to do a telephone activation to the supplied 800 number.
The key question is to assure MS that this copy is being used on only this one pc.
Microsoft seems to be lenient about this even though they technically do not need to.
I would be prepared to buy an upgrade license either to Windows 8 or 7.
With an upgrade license, you will have a retail version that in the future can be freely transferred.

EggyDevil

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013

oh okay thanks, so when i do change it, it will boot, do i need do place the cd when starting up for the first time or will it start up automatically? not sure how to boot it xD. And as long as i get to log on once the motherboard has been changed i should be good getting the version updated.

You should be able to boot into windows with your new motherboard/cpu combo.
The next step would be to insert the motherboard cd and install all the drivers that are on it.
Be careful to do drivers only, or you may install a lot of other junk that you may not want.

Later on, you can look for any newer drivers if you need to.
But, most likely, windows update will find them for you over time.