Where does XP keep its icons?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When you want to assign an icon to a folder on the desktop by using
the "properties" menu then ...

XP refers to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll as the place where it
keeps its icons.

How do I extract thos eicons so I can make use of them for other
applications?

Davis S Rorg wrote:
> When you want to assign an icon to a folder on the desktop by using
> the "properties" menu then ...
>
> XP refers to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll as the place where it
> keeps its icons.
>
> How do I extract thos eicons so I can make use of them for other
> applications?

Click on the "Change Icon" button in the Properties window, then select
the one you want from the file you reference. Also, there is a another
file full of icons in the same folder--look for moricons.dll. It's a
holdover from all the way back in Win 3.1--some of the icons there are
real antiques.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Do the same thing for the other applications. Browse to the shell32.dll
folder and chose the desired icon. You can use any icon for any program or
shortcut!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Davis S Rorg" <jo@nomail.com> wrote in message
> When you want to assign an icon to a folder on the desktop by using
> the "properties" menu then ...
>
> XP refers to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll as the place where it
> keeps its icons.
>
> How do I extract thos eicons so I can make use of them for other
> applications?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

To answer your first question (others have answered the second), the
icons are stored in the Windows executable files (exe, dll, etc.). This
is why when you add a shortcut to an executable, Windows looks in that
file for an icon and if there uses it. You can always point Windows to
look into any other executable file for icons and it will find them as
long as they are there per the standard.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Davis S Rorg wrote:
> When you want to assign an icon to a folder on the desktop by using
> the "properties" menu then ...
>
> XP refers to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll as the place where it
> keeps its icons.
>
> How do I extract thos eicons so I can make use of them for other
> applications?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 05:47:56 +0100 Rob Schneider
<rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote:

> To answer your first question (others have answered the second), the
> icons are stored in the Windows executable files (exe, dll, etc.). This
> is why when you add a shortcut to an executable, Windows looks in that
> file for an icon and if there uses it. You can always point Windows to
> look into any other executable file for icons and it will find them as
> long as they are there per the standard.

Also bear in mind that you are only linking to that icon, not taking a copy of
it. If you select an icon for your program that resides in another programs exe
or dll file, and you later un-install that other program, your icon will
disappear as well!

Chris.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:40:18 +0100, Davis S Rorg <jo@nomail.com>
wrote:

>When you want to assign an icon to a folder on the desktop by using
>the "properties" menu then ...
>
>XP refers to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll as the place where it
>keeps its icons.
>
>How do I extract thos eicons so I can make use of them for other
>applications?

Icon Ripper from:-

http://home.wanadoo.nl/marcok/delphi/IconRipper.zip

is a good free program.

It lets you look at all the icons in a file and save individual ones.
So you could then browse through all the files in windows (especially
in the System32 folder)looking for icons. There are a lot of files
with icons included.

It also has an icon edit program included.

--
The Aussie Bomber
Carn The Dons!!

Aussie Bomber <AussieBomber@privacy.net> wrote:

>>When you want to assign an icon to a folder on the desktop by
>>using the "properties" menu then ...
>>
>>XP refers to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll as the place
>>where it keeps its icons.
>>
>>How do I extract thos eicons so I can make use of them for
>>other applications?
>
> Icon Ripper from:-
>
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/marcok/delphi/IconRipper.zip
>
> is a good free program.

WHen I try that XP says it cant run a 16-bit program.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:55:03 +0100, Svend Cr <nomail@mail.com> wrote:

>Aussie Bomber <AussieBomber@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>>When you want to assign an icon to a folder on the desktop by
>>>using the "properties" menu then ...
>>>
>>>XP refers to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll as the place
>>>where it keeps its icons.
>>>
>>>How do I extract thos eicons so I can make use of them for
>>>other applications?
>>
>> Icon Ripper from:-
>>
>> http://home.wanadoo.nl/marcok/delphi/IconRipper.zip
>>
>> is a good free program.
>
>WHen I try that XP says it cant run a 16-bit program.

Well I run it just fine on win XP SP1 without any problems.

I didn't have to do this but you could try right clicking on its .exe
file, selecting "Properties" then clicking on "Compatibility" tab.

Then click on "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select
an earlier operating system.

--
The Aussie Bomber
Carn The Dons!!