Sign in with
Your question

No POST beeps or video signal

January 9, 2013 10:37:45 PM

I have a ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM Motherboard (its LGA 1155) on the new computer I am building. The motherboard LED is on and the CPU fan and tower fans spin up when I turn on the power. However, the computer does not give any video signal (cant POST). Furthermore, the lack of any beeps coming from the motherboard speaker makes me think the motherboard is to blame. There should be some sort of beep code for a faulty CPU, RAM, etc. The only explanation for no noise whatsoever is (I think) a motherboard problem. In fact, the official support page for the motherboard just says "contact retailer" if there are no beeps, every other problem has a corresponding beep.

Anyway, I have tried all the obvious tests, including breadboarding, but I don't have the spare hardware lying around to completely rule out a problem with RAM or CPU (but I think those problems would have resulted in beeps). At this point I plan to replace the motherboard, but I'm wondering 2 things: do you guys agree that the motherboard was the culprit? and is there anything I may have done to damage the motherboard?

The first time I hit the power switch on the computer, nothing happened. Then I pressed it again and the fans powered up for a second, before the whole thing abruptly shut off (like it had short-circuited or something). Every time after that it starts up normally and stays on, but it does not POST. I have no clue what I did to cause the apparent short-circuiting and I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake on the replacement board too. Of course I don't even know if that strange occurrence did any damage at all or if it is completely irrelevant. Sorry for all the text, but I really am quite confused.
!