GTX 570 vs GTX 560 2gb

byrdbones

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello, It has been a while since I've been in the market for a new GPU. I am currently running a EVGA 285 1gb card, so it has been a few years and I am really looking to upgrade for Skyrim next month. I was curious between these two cards and how you think either one would compare. I understand the official specs for the game havent been released, but I figure anyone using one of these might shed some light. More specifically I was curious if the 2gb might be a little more helpful for a game like skyrim with rendings and such since the game is so massive, or if I should just go for a 1gb 570.

These are the two cards I have been comparing. My budget is around $300 I don't really want to go much higher than that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130613 EVGA 570 1gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130683 EVGA 560 TI 2gb

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or so. Budget around $300

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Casual gammer, I wish to run Skyrim, not looking for BF3 or CoD, or Crysis or anything like that, really Skyrim would be the biggest contender for my card.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: EVGA GTX 285 1gb, Corsair 850w

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: EVGA x58 LE MB, i7 920 2.7ghz, 6gb DDR3 ram, 150gb raptor HD + 500gb WD 2nd storage, Antec 1200 Full ATX tower

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Have always used Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia, big fan of EVGA

OVERCLOCKING:I almost never O.C. anything

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dual monitors (single for actual gameplay) 1920x1080 possible HD

Thanks in advance

jeffredo

Distinguished
A stock HD 6950 is about 6% faster than a stock GTX 560 Ti. Nothing to worry about if you prefer Nvidia.

Its difficult to say what Skyrim will demand. The engine is based on the old Gamebryo engine that Bethesda has used for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and unless you use texture mods with them or force high levels of AA a 1GB card is sufficient. Since the game is being marketed for both consoles I doubt the graphics will be really over the top. Still, with your monitor setup I'd go for greater than 1GB if it were me. The GTX 570 is actually 1280MB - I'm sure you'll be fine with either card. I chose an EVGA GTX 560 2GB in anticipation of the game and overclocked to stock 560 Ti performance levels (very easy to do). It was $225 after rebate.

byrdbones

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I haven't used an ATI card since my 9800 Pro, I guess I just have prefered Nvidia, and more so EVGA for a while now. Thanks for all the logical suggestions, I will probably either get a standard 2gb 560 and OC or perhaps a 570. I still have some time to decide. Thanks again!