Your question

Will a new PSU blow up my MoBo?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Radeon
Last response: in Motherboards
January 9, 2013 10:47:51 PM

Hello there!

I recently bought an ATI Radeon HD 4870, but my psu will not be powerful enough for it (I have a 420W psu, and the graph requires a 500w psu), and I wanna buy a new one, but I'm afraid that a new (and powerful) psu would blow up my MoBo and the other components too. Can it happen? I've already switched a lot of graphs, but never a psu.

Here's my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E2200 2.2Ghz
4 GB RAM DIMM
Nvidia Geforce 8600gts (gonna replace it for an ATI Radeon Hd 4870 512mb)
MoBo: ASUS P5K SE
Psu: 420w

More about : psu blow mobo

January 9, 2013 11:40:09 PM

what is your psu brand and series? I had 4850 and use poor psu that even don't rate 80+ at 470w and its working (don't try that :lol: ). So if your psu is good brand like corsair or antec for 420w it should be work
January 10, 2013 12:35:43 AM

A more powerful high-end PSU won't blow your computer up - but what will blow your computer up are PSUs (low or high-power) that are made with lower quality parts!

Needless to say you'll probably want to stick with a generally-proven brand even if your system isn't pretty high-end. With your setup you could easily do with a 500W (Or maybe even a really solid 400-range unit), though if you plan to upgrade in the future I'd say allow for 100-200W extra (especially if you plan to eventually upgrade the CPU).

One last thing! Make sure the PSU you will get has a CONTINUOUS rating near the wattage range you are looking for. This won't necessarily be what they are advertising on the box! (though continous ratings should be listed on the back)
Related resources
January 10, 2013 8:06:43 AM

Thanks for your response, fellas :) !

My current psu brand is EuroTech. I've already had a (broken) HD4850 in this computer that worked fine in this pc, although the pc started to make a lot more nose...

I'm not looking for a future upgrade, since this computer has already 5 years, and probably wont last long, and I don't want to upgrade it every year lol...
The thing is, I have a really low budget to spend (about 20€) and I've already seen new psus for 15, 20€, but I didn't bought one because I'm afraid of their quality... The brands are:
- LC Power
- Hiditech
- OEM
- Grimtech
- Deer
- Q-tech

Are any of this good?
January 10, 2013 8:12:12 AM

Also, is there some kind of compatibility with the box, or are they all of the same size? And again, is there some kind of compatibility with the Mobo, or they are all just the same?
January 10, 2013 8:30:29 AM

Oh God, i never hear all brand you write above :lol: . You can buy hiqh quality PSU now and use it with your new PC if you upgrade. PSU is the longest term component in PC i thought. Never buy cheap PSU for budget reason. You can save now and later buy hiqh quality PSU. And you must confirm at least PSU you want to buy is 80+ rating. Will be better if 80+ bronze.
January 10, 2013 8:58:14 AM

The only one that I've seen some reference on the internet was the q-tec and the grimtech psus...
I'm gonna get my hd4870 on saturday and see if it works on this psu. If it doesnt, well, let's spend more money! :p 
January 10, 2013 9:08:23 AM

Also, how can I see the size of the psus? I don't wanna buy a psu too large/small lol
January 10, 2013 9:20:58 AM

You can check PSU quality that you want here
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/

For size, every psu had similar size i guess.. Not quite sure, but every PSU i had always have same size with different weight (normally the more its weight, better quality component inside).
January 10, 2013 9:24:37 AM

Thanks for your help :) 
Unfortunately, the website gives me an error when I try to go to the "80 PLUS power supplies" section...

I've found another brands with reseonable prices:

-ATX
-XFX
-Matrix
-Gygabite (yeah, I didn't know they actually do psus)
-Hantol
-Delta
-Nox

Well... how about these? lol
January 10, 2013 9:27:28 AM

XFX and Delta are probably the most trustworthy out of those. I would go with XFX, as some of their PSU's are seasonic built.
January 10, 2013 9:27:34 AM

Oh, and OCZ as well. (Found one in 2nd hand, with an year of usage, 700w, for 30€, is it good?)
January 10, 2013 9:29:44 AM

Did you find an XFX power supply?
If so then that's what you should get, they're actually manufactured and designed by Seasonic as far as I know. :) 
They're the best choice and they should last long enough for you to upgrade as well.
January 10, 2013 9:42:55 AM

OCZ are all right, not the worst at making power supplies, but not the best
January 10, 2013 9:51:21 AM

Grass Peer said:
Your graphics card need 2 six-pin pcie power connectors so you will have to spend more on the power supply. :( 

Are you from portugal?

I found the XFX core edition 550W for 60€.

http://www.moddingworld.pt/loja/xfx/17998-xfx-pro-550w-...
http://www.kuantokusta.pt/1/149372/XFX-PRO550W-Core-Edi...

I'm from Portugal all right :) 

Yeah, my current psu only have one six-pin power connector, but if my graphic card comes with an 4-to-6 pin adapter, will it able to work?

Thank you! :) 
I guess I'll have to save a little more...

January 10, 2013 3:44:33 PM

After checking a ton of psus, I've decided to check my psu amps specs and it says:

+3.3v - 28 amps
+5v - 28 amps
+12v1 - 12 amps
+12 v2 - 18 amps
-12v - 0.6 amps
+5Vab - 3 amps

Will a test with the 4870 in this psu can damage my pc?