Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Out of ink, then buy another printer

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 30, 2005 3:18:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.

Regards Brian

More about : ink buy printer

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
news:vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com...
>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>
> Regards Brian
You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
come with a 'starter set'.

Tom
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

--



"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
news:vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com...
>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>
> Regards Brian


How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00

Cheers _ Hunibal _
Related resources
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>
> Regards Brian
I bought a refurbished HP 845 printer a couple of years ago for $45.
Well below the cost of two cartridges. I used it until a couple of
months ago when I bought an HP 1350 for $129. A bit more than the cost
of two cartridges, but not a lot. However, then printer manufacturers
are getting wise and are putting in 'starter cartridges' with only a
little ink in them. sigh.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Try printpal.com Carts are very cheap and work well. Been using them
for years. HP is a little more costly than Epson. Also after you have
purchased from them, they usually send you an email for 10% off and
free shipping. If I remember correctly, I think if you spend over $40
you get the free shipping. I usually get about 4 to 6 carts every time
and it runs me about 45 to 60 respectively. But you can order 2 if you
like. Anyway check it out.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.

It was cheaper to buy a new printer than to refill my Xerox C20. Then
again I got the C20 'free' for buying a set of consumables. The cost of
carts for it went *up* as the years went on, and after an unsuccessful
experiemtn with third-party inks, I looked at the cost of a new set of
carts, saw the offer a local shop had on the HP 5650 and bought one.

Sure, I miss the A3 and PostScript interpreter of the Xerox occasionally -
and I could get the carts refilled if I needed to I guess - but printer
economics are voodoo economics!

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com>,
Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>
> Regards Brian

Buy ONLY a printer that has individual cartridges for all colors.

Look for discount ink - my canon i850's carts can be had for less than
$2 each. The same cartridges work in the 3 canon bjc3000's I also have.
Canon seems to try to reuse cartridges instead of designing new ones for
every printer model.

I've run at least ten sets through one of the bjc3000 and it works fine.

They work fine for almost everything. I wouldn't do this for printing
high quality artwork but that's not what most people are printing.

mgg
--
sig goes here
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

When looking at a decent printer you will usually find the cost about
half of the street price of the printer. That is really out of line.

Brian wrote:

>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>
>Regards Brian
>
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> writes:

> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.

Often, printers are given away when you buy other stuff. Depending on your
buying patterns of hard and software, you may not _need_ to buy a new
printer when your ink runs out on the old one. :->

--
Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Yep, and even cheaper when you buy a printer on sale for <$50 at
www.fatwallet.com/c/18/ threads! Heck, with some clearance Lexmarks at
Target for <$25, you can't go wrong at all buying a new printer when the
inks run dry in your old one!
April 30, 2005 3:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
> come with a 'starter set'.
>
> Tom
>

I've heard this, particulary from shop staff, but never found it to be
correct when I've bought Epson.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hunibal wrote:
> How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00
>
> Cheers _ Hunibal _

Well, I tried that a few years ago. VERY messy, and only about 1 in 3
of the cartridges worked afterwards. Worse, the ink was terrible. No
thanks.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00

I used to do that, and I had a good experience with it. However,
manufacturers switched to carts with chips in them, and they no longer
worked after reporting themselves empty, even though I'd refilled them.
--
Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:

>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>news:vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com...
>
>
>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>
>>Regards Brian
>>
>>
>You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
>come with a 'starter set'.
>
>Tom
>
>

Yes in the case of HP; No in the case of Canon.

>
>
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

They do not tell you the mfg/formulator of what they sell. It is a
black box.

SuperDave wrote:

>Try printpal.com Carts are very cheap and work well. Been using them
>for years. HP is a little more costly than Epson. Also after you have
>purchased from them, they usually send you an email for 10% off and
>free shipping. If I remember correctly, I think if you spend over $40
>you get the free shipping. I usually get about 4 to 6 carts every time
>and it runs me about 45 to 60 respectively. But you can order 2 if you
>like. Anyway check it out.
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Phil, I think it was you that mentioned built in chips. my son picked up a
reset gizmo for his epson cartridge from ebay, very cheap. I prefer a laser
for b&w and get my photo printing done outside.
Dave Cohen
"Phil Stripling" <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote in message
news:3qvf657da9.fsf@shell4.tdl.com...
> Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> writes:
>
>> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>
> Often, printers are given away when you buy other stuff. Depending on your
> buying patterns of hard and software, you may not _need_ to buy a new
> printer when your ink runs out on the old one. :->
>
> --
> Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
> http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Pete Fenelon wrote:
> Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>
>
> It was cheaper to buy a new printer than to refill my Xerox C20. Then
> again I got the C20 'free' for buying a set of consumables. The cost of
> carts for it went *up* as the years went on, and after an unsuccessful
> experiemtn with third-party inks, I looked at the cost of a new set of
> carts, saw the offer a local shop had on the HP 5650 and bought one.
>
> Sure, I miss the A3 and PostScript interpreter of the Xerox occasionally -
> and I could get the carts refilled if I needed to I guess - but printer
> economics are voodoo economics!
>
> pete
Every time I pay the outrageous price for a new cartridge, I just remind
myself that I am making a payment on the printer. At least I feel
better that way.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D 4t6nr$mj1$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often
>> they come with a 'starter set'.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>
> I've heard this, particulary from shop staff, but never found it to be
> correct when I've bought Epson.

It's HP that use "starter" sets.
April 30, 2005 3:18:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote:

>I've heard this, particulary from shop staff, but never found it to be
>correct when I've bought Epson.

Well good for Epson and I mean that as a compliment. My HP came with
carts with a G in partnumber. (Special one drop of ink carts).

Wes
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 29 Apr 2005 09:33:03 -0700, Phil Stripling
<phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:


>I used to do that, and I had a good experience with it. However,
>manufacturers switched to carts with chips in them, and they no longer
>worked after reporting themselves empty, even though I'd refilled them.

I bought one of those 3rd party black ink cartridges for my Canon
printer and it ruined the black print heads because the ink gummed up
inside. I tried cleaning the print head with Isopropyl alcohol but the
head is ruined. I'll never buy a 3rd party cartridge again, and now I
have to buy a new printer too. Well, I could order a new print head
from Canon but it would be just about as cheap to just replace the
printer. It's not an expensive model.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:00:20 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <dave@example.net>
wrote:

>Phil, I think it was you that mentioned built in chips. my son picked up a
>reset gizmo for his epson cartridge from ebay, very cheap. I prefer a laser
>for b&w and get my photo printing done outside.

I'm thinking of going lazer too for text printing. The problem with
inkjet is that if you don't use it frequently the ink dries up and can
gum up the print heads. That happened to an Epson 870 I had and the
printer was useless after that.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Phil Stripling wrote:
>>How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00
>
>
> I used to do that, and I had a good experience with it. However,
> manufacturers switched to carts with chips in them, and they no longer
> worked after reporting themselves empty, even though I'd refilled them.

That scheme can often be defeated, but it is a lengthy song and dance
routine, not worth the effort in my opinion.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Dave Cohen" <dave@example.net> writes:

> Phil, I think it was you that mentioned built in chips. my son picked up a
> reset gizmo for his epson cartridge from ebay, very cheap. I prefer a laser
> for b&w and get my photo printing done outside.

Yep, I use a laser printer for myself nowadays -- it's cheaper than
inkjets. I stopped even accepting the free ones when you buy a new computer
or whatever.

My wife prefers inkjets because she prints a lot of her photos, and she
bought one that doesn't chip the carts. A canon i9900, as I recall.

--
Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Otherwise, why refill cartridge at a time if you're really printing
hundreds/thousands of pages a month? Just buy a continuous ink bottle
feed system from www.inkjetmall.com and elsewhere and relax! Really,
really cheap ink costs with one! (yahoo groups -> epson inkjet mailing
list for more info on these)

But yeah, with a new laser printer selling for <$50 on sale with
coupons, no reason to use an inkjet for regular printing
(www.fatwallet.com/c/18/ for these deals).
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:16:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Michael Gardner wrote:

>In article <vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com>,
> Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>
>
>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>
>>Regards Brian
>>
>>
>
>Buy ONLY a printer that has individual cartridges for all colors.
>
>Look for discount ink - my canon i850's carts can be had for less than
>$2 each. The same cartridges work in the 3 canon bjc3000's I also have.
>Canon seems to try to reuse cartridges instead of designing new ones for
>every printer model.
>
>I've run at least ten sets through one of the bjc3000 and it works fine.
>
>They work fine for almost everything.
>


> I wouldn't do this for printing
>high quality artwork
>

Why not?

> but that's not what most people are printing.
>
>mgg
>
>
April 30, 2005 4:50:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Brian wrote:

> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>
>

You do realize some cheap printers come with 1/2 full cartridges?
--

Stacey
April 30, 2005 4:52:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Michael Gardner wrote:

> In article <vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com>,
> Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
> Buy ONLY a printer that has individual cartridges for all colors.
>

Also if you look at them, the cheaper printers have smaller carts,
especially the black one.

--

Stacey
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:00:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <ijqce.72$QR1.53@fe04.lga>,
Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

> Hunibal wrote:
> > How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00
> >
> > Cheers _ Hunibal _
>
> Well, I tried that a few years ago. VERY messy, and only about 1 in 3
> of the cartridges worked afterwards. Worse, the ink was terrible. No
> thanks.

Carts in Japan seem to be going down in price - after all - this is the
home of the Kyoto Protocol and big business is looking out for the 3-R's
- Re-use, Recycle and Re-fill. Unfortunately this seems to be limited to
Japan and the economy here is still export-driven, meaning Epson and
Canon will sell the same printers abroad but make it impossible to use
cheap Japanese carts. The usual prices here are
Canon BCI 6 and BCI 3e carts - around 750yen ($7)
Epson IC**21's (Stylus 950 etc) around 850yen ($8.20)

Using the re-fill inks will only save about 10% over these prices.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:00:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Stewy wrote:

>In article <ijqce.72$QR1.53@fe04.lga>,
> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>
>
>
>>Hunibal wrote:
>>
>>
>>>How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00
>>>
>>>Cheers _ Hunibal _
>>>
>>>
>>Well, I tried that a few years ago. VERY messy, and only about 1 in 3
>>of the cartridges worked afterwards. Worse, the ink was terrible. No
>>thanks.
>>
>>
>
>Carts in Japan seem to be going down in price - after all - this is the
>home of the Kyoto Protocol and big business is looking out for the 3-R's
>- Re-use, Recycle and Re-fill. Unfortunately this seems to be limited to
>Japan and the economy here is still export-driven, meaning Epson and
>Canon will sell the same printers abroad but make it impossible to use
>cheap Japanese carts. The usual prices here are
>Canon BCI 6 and BCI 3e carts - around 750yen ($7)
>Epson IC**21's (Stylus 950 etc) around 850yen ($8.20)
>
>

I think Canon should drop the price of the Pixma series carts to $5.00.
Then the hawkers and whores will be out of business.

>Using the re-fill inks will only save about 10% over these prices.
>
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:12:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <z7Ace.11039$J12.4894@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Gardner wrote:
>
> >In article <vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com>,
> > Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
> >>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
> >>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
> >>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
> >>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
> >>
> >>Regards Brian
> >>
> >>
> >
> >Buy ONLY a printer that has individual cartridges for all colors.
> >
> >Look for discount ink - my canon i850's carts can be had for less than
> >$2 each. The same cartridges work in the 3 canon bjc3000's I also have.
> >Canon seems to try to reuse cartridges instead of designing new ones for
> >every printer model.
> >
> >I've run at least ten sets through one of the bjc3000 and it works fine.
> >
> >They work fine for almost everything.
> >
>
>
> > I wouldn't do this for printing
> >high quality artwork
> >
>
> Why not?
>
there does seem to be minor differences in color between cheap and
original cartridges. With color correction perhaps you could live with
it. For most everything I print - it isn't noticeable and doesn't
matter.

> > but that's not what most people are printing.
> >
> >mgg
> >
> >
--
sig goes here
April 30, 2005 10:26:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>
>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>news:vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com...
>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
>come with a 'starter set'.
>
>Tom
>
I checked and the printer does come with a black and a colour cart.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 10:26:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>
>>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>news:vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com...
>>
>>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>>
>>>Regards Brian
>>
>>You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
>>come with a 'starter set'.
>>
>>Tom
>>
>
> I checked and the printer does come with a black and a colour cart.
>
> Regards Brian
>
Yes, both carts, but are they FULL OF INK? The only way to tell is to
weigh a regular cartridge, and the 'starter' cartridge. If there is a
difference, factor that into the purchase price.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 10:26:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

GOTO www.printpal.com
a full set for the epson C84 is only about $36.00
I have been using them for 2 years about a set a month.
Yes I do a weekly handout paper

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
news:679671hsna7gr5dthia9sqi4gcj9eh9t63@4ax.com...
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>news:vk5471h2lhrknrh38hge53u5tf743q7uvo@4ax.com...
>>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>>
>>> Regards Brian
>>You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
>>come with a 'starter set'.
>>
>>Tom
>>
> I checked and the printer does come with a black and a colour cart.
>
> Regards Brian
>
April 30, 2005 10:27:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote:

>> You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
>> come with a 'starter set'.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>
>I've heard this, particulary from shop staff, but never found it to be
>correct when I've bought Epson.
>
It was an Epson printer (I think it was Epson 45....but I'd need to
check)

Regards Brian
April 30, 2005 11:12:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>> rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>> Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>> total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>> colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>
>>
>
>You do realize some cheap printers come with 1/2 full cartridges?

I don't know if this was the case for this $74 printer. I wonder if
the buyer would be told that the cartridge was half full.

At the moment it seems to be cheaper to process a 35mm film and get 24
(6x4 inch) prints for $10. To made a print of a digital photo costs
60 cents at most places.
Far as I know the cheaper printers have expensive ink cartridges and
the more expensive printers have cheaper cartridges.

If I was to buy another printer it would be one that has separate
colours for each cartridges. I hate replacing colour cartridges that
have run out of a certain colour, when there is still ink for the
other colours.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:12:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Brian wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>You do realize some cheap printers come with 1/2 full cartridges?
>
>
> I don't know if this was the case for this $74 printer. I wonder if
> the buyer would be told that the cartridge was half full.
>
> At the moment it seems to be cheaper to process a 35mm film and get 24
> (6x4 inch) prints for $10. To made a print of a digital photo costs
> 60 cents at most places.
> Far as I know the cheaper printers have expensive ink cartridges and
> the more expensive printers have cheaper cartridges.
>
> If I was to buy another printer it would be one that has separate
> colours for each cartridges. I hate replacing colour cartridges that
> have run out of a certain colour, when there is still ink for the
> other colours.
>
> Regards Brian
>

Sixty cents! WHERE? I can get digital prints at CVS Pharmacy for $.39
and at Sam's Club for $.14.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
May 1, 2005 4:09:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Brian wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>>>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>>>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>>>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>>>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>You do realize some cheap printers come with 1/2 full cartridges?
>>
>>
>> I don't know if this was the case for this $74 printer. I wonder if
>> the buyer would be told that the cartridge was half full.
>>
>> At the moment it seems to be cheaper to process a 35mm film and get 24
>> (6x4 inch) prints for $10. To made a print of a digital photo costs
>> 60 cents at most places.
>> Far as I know the cheaper printers have expensive ink cartridges and
>> the more expensive printers have cheaper cartridges.
>>
>> If I was to buy another printer it would be one that has separate
>> colours for each cartridges. I hate replacing colour cartridges that
>> have run out of a certain colour, when there is still ink for the
>> other colours.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>>
>
>Sixty cents! WHERE? I can get digital prints at CVS Pharmacy for $.39
>and at Sam's Club for $.14.

That price was for New Zealand.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:09:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Brian wrote:
>>
>>>Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Brian wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
>>>>>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
>>>>>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
>>>>>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
>>>>>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>You do realize some cheap printers come with 1/2 full cartridges?
>>>
>>>
>>>I don't know if this was the case for this $74 printer. I wonder if
>>>the buyer would be told that the cartridge was half full.
>>>
>>>At the moment it seems to be cheaper to process a 35mm film and get 24
>>>(6x4 inch) prints for $10. To made a print of a digital photo costs
>>>60 cents at most places.
>>>Far as I know the cheaper printers have expensive ink cartridges and
>>>the more expensive printers have cheaper cartridges.
>>>
>>>If I was to buy another printer it would be one that has separate
>>>colours for each cartridges. I hate replacing colour cartridges that
>>>have run out of a certain colour, when there is still ink for the
>>>other colours.
>>>
>>>Regards Brian
>>>
>>
>>Sixty cents! WHERE? I can get digital prints at CVS Pharmacy for $.39
>>and at Sam's Club for $.14.
>
>
> That price was for New Zealand.
>
> Regards Brian
>
>
Sorry. There was nothing in your post, or header, to indicate the point
of origin. So, that's the price you pay for living in a fairly remote
area, but from what I have seen of pictures of NZ, the scenery is
probably worth $.60 a print!


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!