CPU-Fan Connector On Mobo died.

xryanx123

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
This morning i went to turn on my computer and the cpu fan would not spin and I got the error message at startup and my computer shut itself off. I have a Thor v2 case so i have plenty of fan connectors, so i unplugged the cpu fan from the mobo and tried it in one of these, and it worked perfectly fine.

it seems to controlled on the mobo is fried or dead, not sure how or why, but i can get the cpu fan to run off one of these other connectors, although it will run at full RPM.

My question is how can i boot the computer like this? Since the CPU fan is not connected to the Cpu-Fan on the Mobo, the mobo still believes it does not have any cooling and still shuts itself off.

I have an AMD Athlon II x250 Mobo (its an HP).

WARNING: There is a reason that your system shuts down when the CPU fan fails - this is a safety feature to protect your PC. CPUs are expensive and die agonizing deaths when overheated. Use any recommendation below that bypasses this system safety feature at your own risk.

It's a POST function that determines whether or not your CPU fan is operating and shuts down to preserve the CPU. If that fan header is no longer functioning, then you might be able to disable the auto shutdown in the BIOS...if you can get into BIOS. System mfrs like HP, Dell, etc. usually do not give a lot of BIOS functionality in their systems so having this functionality is questionable at best...

Will the system boot with a fan connected to the header - even if the fan isn't properly powered? If so then you may be able to trick the system into booting by shorting the +/- connectors on the CPU fan header. Short those and run your CPU fan on a different header. If you run your system while bypassing this system safety feature and the other fan header fails or the fan fails, then you run the risk of overheating/damaging your CPU.

Unless you can repair the fan header on the mobo, the only way to really fix this is to replace the mobo. Are you still under warranty?

xryanx123

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
No I am not under warrenty still, and i am fairly sure that what you said about HP's having no bios functionality is true. I don't think there is a fan warning off.
So heres my next question... What should I replace the mobo with? I am not very good with picking out parts for computers because I don't know what works with what.

Thank you for the quick response.