Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Single GTX 570

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I am confused on what would be better,

They are roughly in the same price range.

This is the build im getting, (not sure about GPU yet)

http://imageshack.us/f/197/pc7final.jpg/
(Cant get the ripjaw, asrock parts)
and the PSU is only $20 bucks more expensive than the 800W

-Live in norway ))

I am always in favor of a single great card over sli when a single card will do the job.

The sli gtx560ti will probably benchmark higher, but that is not what we do; we game.
If there is an issue with microstuttering, it will me more annoying than a few less fps.

SLI implies extra costs. A stronger psu, a sli capable motherboard, a more expensive better cooling case, and extra fans.

How good do you need to be for your games? Unless your monitor is 2560 x 1600, or you are looking at triple monitor surround gaming, a single card should do the job.

Some comments on your build:

1) For a gamer, 8gb will be sufficient ram. Don't pay extra for fancy heat spreaders. 1.5v does not need them.
Only if you will use 64 bit enabled apps like photoshop would 16gb be good. On the other hand, ram is so cheap, that I can't argue too much against 16gb.

2) Why not spend some extra on a GTX580? Such a card only needs a good 600-650w psu.

3) What will you use for a hard drive? If you have the budget, get a 60-120gb ssd for the os and some apps.
Get a 1tb drive for storage and overflow.

4) The haf 922 will come with sufficient fans. You can always add fans later.

5) 1000w seems excessive, even for sli GTX560ti. 850w should do it. Also, do not pay extra for modular. You will be using most of the leads anyway, and in a 922, there are plenty of places to store extras. I usw modular only in very small sff cases. I don't know the quality of fractal design psu's. My short list of quality psu's would include Seasonic, PC P&C, Corsair, XFX, and antec.

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
my corsair white edition 600T has a ridiculous amount of fans, with the side-panel mesh inserted of course i am running 9 fans right now, 2 are on a push/pull setup on a h60 radiator.

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
There are no microstutter issues with current gen nvidia cards providing your cpu is capable of coping with them.

perhaps not on the current gen ones, although he is talking about 460's in sli which while i have no owned them personally i have heard complaints about micro-stuttering on 2-way sil with those cards although i do believe i heard the issue is not as prevalent on more current gpus

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
yeah i am replying to 2 different forums right now and got my responses mixed up Lol so i agree with you, darn my multi-tasking inability

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Thanks alot for your reply.
1) I did pick up 8GB, and the Corsair vengance is accually the cheapest one I can find (which has a good name)

2) GTX 580 is almost double the price of a GTX 570 or (SLI 560ti's) and I can't afford that tbh.

3) for a hard drive i have 2x standard SATA 300GB hard drives, which I have used many years now, and I dont really need more space. and for SSD's are insane priced if I want anything closely spacey.

4) Fans are really cheap, and I bought 1x 200mm fan for the side, and 1x 120mm fan for the bottom of the case.
(which brings me to 5 fans total in the HAF922, 3x 200mm and 2x 120mm)

5) I agree with the 1000W being over the top, but the price difference on PSU's here are so little, that 850W is $20 cheaper than the 1000W, and 750W being $50 cheaper than the 1000W.

(keep in mind that these are Norwegian prices, NewEgg.com and amazon.com do not ship to Norway)

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
So now we have SLI 560ti's in the lead on the poll,
but the comments say single GTX 570

still confused -.-

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
let me mention this, not as a challenge more as a question as i do not run sli because of horror stories (slightly exaggerated) i heard regarding micro-stuttering, tom's actually suggests the 560's do experience micro-stuttering in 2-way sli in their best graphic's card for the money article from september. why would they list this as a caveat of such a setup if it does not occur in newer cards?? obviously, it is not the ti edition of the cards so is that the difference or does the problem still occur just perhaps not on all configurations?

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
What has this got to do with this thread? :hello:

from a previous comment where someone mentioned

"4) The haf 922 will come with sufficient fans. You can always add fans later. "

just throwing it out there as a suggestion, perhaps read all of the comments and connect the dots? :na:

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

As stated before, i will be installing 2 extra fans 1x 200mm and 1x 120mm

but i have never done this before, and need some advice on this aswell.

Do i need to buy extra cables or splitters of some kind to connect 5 fans to one mobo?

or does this come in the package?

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
that just depends on how many fan connectors the motherboard has. if i am understanding correctly what you asked then i would not try to connect multiple fans to one fan header (i think you mentioned splitters which would imply doing that) an alternate route you could take is buying a case with a built in fan controller for the extra fans or some sort of fan controller for a case that doesn't have one. most mount in 5.25" bays and provide manual control for those extra fans, you can actually manually control all your fans if it has enough connectors and you would like to do that

A case fan will come with two possible connectors.

A 4 pin molex connector that connects directly to the psu. They usually have the capability of being daisy chained so you can add as many as you want.

The other type of connector is a three pin type which is intended to be connected to a motherboard header. There may be a speed sensing wire that the motherboard or software can use to adjust the speed. Motherboard headers have a limit to the amperage they can deliver. Usually, two fans are ok with a splitter, but not more. Also, if you use a splitter, any speed sensing will not work properly.

Some case fans will come with both type of connectors.

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

well my Mobo:
ASUS P8P67 PRO B3, Socket-1155 ATX, P67, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, BT, EFI
If i am right, it has
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin, 1 x 3 -pin)
1 x Power Fan connector(s) (3 -pin)

found this on here
http://cdon.no/elektronikk/asus_p8p67_pro_b3,_p67_socket_1155,_atx-14187287
And for PSU:
Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W PSU
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=29

So, will i need a fan-controller?
I started off with buying a new GPU and CPU. and it just keeps growing -.-

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
i think that is the same board i own, haha

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771

that one is mine so it should support 4 fans out of the box, assuming the connectors match the pin requirements, personally i perfer manual control, it really depends on what fans you end up using like i have 2 that only have molex connectors which threw me for a loop as most usually include 3-pin connectors, just watch that information when you shop

You do not need a fan controller. Just plug them in.

Fan controllers can do various jobs depending on what you want.
Ultimately, they make a trade off, lowering fan speed and cooling in order to reduce noise.
The adjustment can be a static manual adjustment, or more dynamic and possibly program controlled.

If you plug them into the motherboard, try a free program called speedfan first.
It will report temperatures, and adjust speeds for you.

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

The two extra fans i bought have

3 Pin, 3-4 pin Adapter

and there are 3 already inn the case (HAF 922)
which doesn't say what pins it has.

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

So you are sure i can connect all the 5 fans without a controller?

I would prefer to not buy a controller if possible.

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
he is right you do not need a fan controller necessarily. the last haf case i worked on, i believe they were 3-pin connectors, although it wasn't my case so i do not remember definitely. the fan controller is just personal preference and somewhat need as i use more than my board supports. even if it is a molex connector you can buy adapters for molex-to-3-pin if necessary.

Your case will work fine, with just two fans.

You almost certainly can connect all the fans, saying that w/o knowing the fan connectors coming.

Adapters for molex to 3/4 pin adapters are cheap if needed.

No sense in getting a fan controller now.
Wait and see if you want one, and what it needs to do.
They can always be added later.

Is this build being done for you, or, are you doing it all yourself?

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

going to do it all myself. And the two fans i bought extra are 4 or 3 pin with adapters.
but not sure about the ones already in the case.

I have built a pc before, but not with extra fans

No big deal.
You will have no trouble figuring it out when you see things.
I might suggest you download and read the motherboard and case manuals now, cover to cover.
Many questions will be answered.

Mvx15n

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I vote for the 570 for three reasons:
- single card means less issues in configuration and half risk of a card failure
- single card means less heat and i can tell you two cards is a lot of heat into the room
- you can allways buy a second 570 and get higher performance...

I've seen you finish the poll in Christmas by then most likely the new gen cards will be on the market or at least announced...