1280x1024 gaming res. video card picks

this card will be installed into an older system pent.4 (530) 3ghz clk spd. 2gb pc3200 dual channel ram win xp... very basic system.. want to add a card for mild gaming (CoD, WoW, and an RTS style game as yet TBD) the systems main use is surfing the web.. just want to get a card for now that can push this system for it's gaming I do plan on building a new system in the coming weeks (2months) so this is just an upgrade that will be moved and used in a much more powerful system later on. and yes it's pciE slot.. as the title suggests I have two 20" monitors that I plan to use for the new system that are 1280x1024
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1280x1024 gaming video card picks
  1. I would like to play on highest settings at that resolution ;-) so anyone with knowledge on the latest video cards pls enlighten me.. it's been awhile since I've been gaming last system I built was using a 6800GT back when they were brand new and the top of the line card was a 6800GTX sli was brand new and athlon skt750 had come out.. so I been out of the loop for awhile lol. been spending many a hours catching up but I really appreciate any feedback.. oh if your wondering I replaced the psu in this system with a thermaltake tr2-430 from fry's as the old one looked like a chinese firecracker ready for meltdown lol.
  2. Best answer
    I hate to break it to you but the Thermaltake TR2-430 is more or less crap. But I suppose it is better crap than your old crappier power supply. If I remember correctly, the capacitors (by Fujihuyu I believe) used are of less than average quality.

The problem with your current system is that your P4 530 @ 3.0GHz is extremely power hungry. When under load (playing a game or doing anything stressful) it can consume 135w - 140w of power. That is a lot of power.

If you are going to upgrade your system soon I think your power supply can handle up to a Radeon HD 5770 / HD 6770 (basically same graphic core, with minor tweaks to the card which does not affect performance). You can buy one for $90 after rebate:

Here's benchmarks for the Radeon HD 5770:
  3. I would recommend the 5770 too.
  4. This topic has been moved from the section Video Games to section Graphics & Displays by Pyree
  5. Yea the psu was a quik fix and it was cheap... I plan to build an all new system based off 2nd. Gen icore.. so since I'm getting a new psu anyways I don't have a problem swapping it out in current system to handle a powerful video card.. so a card that would max the 1280 scene is what I'm lookin for keeping in mind the card will be used in another system with a much more powerful CPU and psu .. well everything lol thank you all so much for your feedback
  6. I have a much more powerful OCZ psu from awhile back it actually lists the voltage ratings on each 12v rail unlike the thermal take .. so if need be I can use that if I need to or simply buy the one I'm getting I don't want to be limited by psu so if there is a better card available then the 5770 but I need a better psu lemme know... Thank ya much
  7. Best answer selected by Mars Mark.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Graphics